Filter Results
850 properties

Premier Listing

Boone Pickens' Mesa Vista Ranch: Over 100 Square Miles of Prime Eastern Texas Panhandle Ranch with Outstanding Improvements
#TX230169
Roberts, 
64,809.00 acres
With the recent passing of Boone Pickens, the listing price of the Mesa Vista Ranch has been reduced from the original price of $250,000,000 to $220,000,000. LOCATION: The Mesa Vista Ranch is located in Roberts County in the Eastern Texas Panhandle. The ranch is located about 30 miles north of Pampa, Texas, and approximately 85 miles northeast of Amarillo. ACRES: 64,809 +/- Acres HISTORY: In 1971, Boone purchased approximately 2,900 acres along the south side of the Canadian River in Roberts County, Texas. Over the years, Boone began to assemble additional adjoining land positioned along the Canadian River corridor, and today the Mesa Vista Ranch comprises over 100 square miles of prime Eastern Texas Panhandle ranch land. As Boone's assemblage continued, he spent millions and millions of dollars to make Mesa Vista one of the best improved ranches in the United States. He used cutting edge conservation practices to enhance the wildlife on the property. Today Boone proudly boasts that the Mesa Vista Ranch is, "the world's best quail hunting." PROPERTY DESCRIPTION: As Boone expanded his holdings, his focus always remained centered along the Canadian River. Today, the Mesa Vista Ranch stretches approximately 25 miles along the south side of the Canadian River. This lush river bottom land creates the centerpiece for the property, but the ranch features an unmatched variety of land types ranging from rolling sand hills to elevated ridges, mesa points and gently rolling, open prairie lands. The river bottom and numerous major drainages support abundant massive cottonwood trees, as well as willows, hackberry trees and others. Much of the river bottom is sub-irrigated and suitable for native hay production. Live spring water is found throughout several of the major drainages. In an effort to enhance wildlife on the property, over the years, Boone has been a leader in conservation practices that are now followed by many other sportsmen in the country. As a testament to Boone's conservation efforts, in 2008 he was named the recipient of the prestigious Park Cities Quail Unlimited Lifetime Sportsman Award. Boone maintains a small cow herd on the ranch, 400-500 cows Boone has placed over 1,000 quail feeders and numerous deer feeders on the ranch. He has created a number of food plot areas and added a network of buried waterlines with small water outlets to create wet areas for quail. LODGE COMPOUND: The Lodge, along with multiple support structures is located in a manicured, tree covered "park-like" setting. It is common to view whitetail deer and turkey in the mornings and afternoons, with turkey roosting in the trees in the late evening. This Lodge Compound has been the major gathering area for Boone's family and guests over the years. It has served an important role as a place where corporate heads have met to discuss and craft multi-million-dollar business transactions, politicians and large donors have gathered for political events. Few if any facilities can match the beauty of the Lodge Compound. Initial construction on the Lodge began in 1988, with numerous updates and additions added over the years. Presently, the Lodge itself comprises in excess of 25,000 square feet with an additional approximately 10,000 square feet of porches and patio areas. Surrounding the Lodge is significant landscaping, in-ground sprinkler systems, and underground electrical service. Adding to the ambiance of the Lodge are numerous bronze sculptures tastefully positioned on the grounds. In addition to the Lodge and support structures, the compound features a lighted tennis court, a skeet/trap range, and a small golf course with two fairways and greens and nine tee boxes. The Family House, which was completed in 2009, is located west of the Main Lodge. This house is a two-story with a third floor lounging and viewing room. The Family House contains over 6,000 square feet of living area and approximately 2,500 square feet of porches and patios. The Pub is located north of the Family House and is a two-story structure containing approximately 2,250 square feet of air-conditioned area. The Gun Room is a freestanding, single-story structure containing over 400 square feet. This building was constructed in 2005 and features a lounge area, bathroom, and kitchenette. The Gate House, adjacent to the golf course, is a single family, two-story residence with partial basement. This house has approximately 2,300 square feet of living area, an attached two-car garage, and a deck area. In 2007 Boone constructed a charming Chapel located on the north end of the Lodge Compound area. This chapel is situated along the banks of a flowing creek and lake area. Adjacent to the Chapel is the Memory Garden, which was constructed in 2014. There are pergolas and a beautiful stair-cased waterfall feature behind the structure. In addition to the above, the Lodge Compound includes other support structures such as storage buildings and the Hilltop House, which is a children's play house. Overall, the Lodge Compound area is the most user-friendly facility on the ranch. It is designed to house large groups for entertaining or business functions. LAKE HOUSE: Boone's Lake House has been featured in Architectural Digest Magazine and Cowboys and Indians Magazine. The Lake House contains approximately 11,500 square feet of living area and over 3,800 square feet of porches and patios. The front entry door was originally the front door to Bing Crosby's home. The upper level of the home features a large living/great room with fireplace, dining area, master bedroom and bath, 1 1/2 bathrooms, kitchen, utility room, and elevator. A spiral staircase with stone imported from France leads to the lower level where there are two guest bedrooms, three bathrooms, wine cellar and tasting room, office, exercise room, utility room, cedar closet, mechanical room, and storm/safe room. Outdoor balcony railings are bronze and all balconies and porch areas overlook astonishing water features, such as lakes, ponds, waterfalls, and aqueducts. The landscaping, topography features, and water enhancements make the Lake House truly "fit for a king." AIRPORT AND HANGAR: The airport is located on the western portion of the ranch. The runway is approximately 6,000 feet long and 100 feet wide. The airport facility was designed and built with FAA approval and meets all of their requirements and regulations. Approach lights are installed along the runway. The runway itself is constructed of one-foot thick concrete. This airport runway is designed to handle most any size private aircraft. Adjacent to the runway is a 52,600-square foot concrete tarmac, which connects the airport to the hangar. The hangar facility contains approximately 25,000 square feet with epoxy coated concrete floor. It features a heated electric hangar door opening system, an attractive lounge and restroom area downstairs and a two-bedroom, two-bathroom pilot's apartment upstairs. The entire airport complex is located within an 8-foot-high game fence constructed of 2 1/2 inch steel posts with heavy gauge net wire. In addition, the facility is equipped with a standby 350KW generator system for auxiliary power. DOG KENNEL: The Dog Kennel is located east of the Lodge complex, between the Lodge and the highway. The Kennel contains approximately 11,000 square feet of usable kennel area, with approximately 3,600 feet being enclosed and air conditioned. There are 40 chain-link dog pens, 20 on each side of a concrete center alleyway. The Kennel is equipped with full office facilities, a large meat processing-center. The facility includes a veterinary lab, upper level storage, overhead crane and bathroom. WATER FEATURES: The Canadian River itself generally forms the north boundary of the ranch for a distance of approximately 25 miles. This river bottom is wide and fertile with a shallow water table. In some areas, standing pockets of water are common and portions of the river bottom are sub-irrigated. In the early 2000's Boone began a massive water enhancement project, likely never before conceived or duplicated by a private citizen. By dredging and building a chain of dams, waterfalls, lakes, and other water enhancements, Boone created possibly the largest individual water park ever envisioned. In addition to the countless lakes and ponds, he created a flowing, man-made creek called "Boone's Creek," which basically parallels the Canadian River. By dredging into the standing water table in the Canadian River bottom, this creek was formed. Boone, however, was not satisfied with standing water in the creek and wanted ever flowing running water throughout the creek bottom. With the use of well water injected into the creek, Boone's Creek flows several thousand gallons per minute throughout this stretch of roughly 12 miles of creeks, lakes, waterfalls and ponds, all of which are man-made. With a system of pumps and pipelines, much of this water can be recirculated and used over and over. Without question, Boone has created an unmatched oasis in the Texas Panhandle. WILDLIFE: The Mesa Vista Ranch supports a variety of wildlife. Whitetail deer thrive in the productive creek bottom areas and mule deer are found throughout the sandhills, broken ridges, and mesa points on the southeast side of the ranch. Aoudad are also viewed from time to time in this rougher portion of the property. Antelope are found on the open plains country on the southwest side of the ranch. Besides quail, dove are also abundant and water fowl are seasonally present on many of the lakes. Hundreds and hundreds of turkeys are common throughout the tree-covered bottom lands. Most all of the lakes have been stocked with a variety of fish, and fishing is reported to be excellent. The southern portion of the Mesa Vista Ranch is improved with pivot sprinkler systems and irrigation wells. Portions of this land are planted in a combination of wheat and millet, providing outstanding habitat for pheasant. All in all, with the water features, varying terrain, and conservation measures in place on the Mesa Vista Ranch, it would be hard to find a better recreational property in this area of Texas. RANCH RESOURCES: Roberts County is known to have prolific saturated thickness of quality Ogallala ground water, along with substantial oil and gas resources. The Mesa Vista Ranch is located in an area of prolific quality ground water, being in the Ogallala Water Formation. Over the years, hundreds of thousands of acres of water rights have been sold in Roberts County for municipal water purposes. Recent commercial water sales in the area indicate that water rights have a commercial value in the range of $400 - $500 per acre. As previously discussed, Boone acquired the Mesa Vista Ranch in a series of purchases over the years. Boone obtained water rights in the earlier purchases, but in more recent years, as he acquired adjoining land, the commercial water rights were already sold, due to their commercial value. Overall, Boone owns approximately 42,000 acres of water rights, which will convey with the sale. This is considered to be an extremely valuable asset. In addition to this water resource, minerals are also considered to be a valuable resource in Roberts County. Like the water, Boone obtained a portion of the minerals on the earlier land purchases, but as he expanded to the east and west in more recent years, he was unable to obtain minerals with these acquisitions. There is scattered oil and gas activity on the Mesa Vista Ranch. All of Boone's owned mineral interests will convey. In 2015, Boone's oil and gas royalty income totaled approximately $2,560,000. In 2016, with oil and gas prices declining, the total royalty income dropped to approximately $771,000. For the first nine months of 2017 the royalty income is approximately $541,000. Again, all owned water rights, all owned mineral rights, and royalty will convey with the property. There are a number of large, operating wind farms located in the Texas Panhandle. All wind generation royalty rights are also included. PRICE AND REMARKS: The Boone Pickens' Mesa Vista Ranch is offered for sale at a price of $220,000,000. It seems impossible to comprehend all of the improvements made to this property, whether it is structural improvements, water enhancements, landscaping, wildlife conservation features, or others. As example, thousands of tons of landscaping rock, trees, shrubbery, plants, etc. were imported to the property over the years. Early on, Boone hired Tommy Ford, an architect from Dallas, Texas, to help in the planning, drafting, and construction of the many improvements placed on the ranch. Together, Boone and Tommy had the vision to take raw ranch land and transform this property into what now represents Mesa Vista Ranch. In a recent conversation with Tommy Ford, he estimated that the total volume of building materials, landscaping rocks, trees, and other enhancements delivered to the ranch would exceed 120 trains, with each train load containing 110 cars of materials. Having overseen most all of the major structural construction on the property, Tommy estimated replacement cost of over $140,000,000, not counting the added cost of dredging and developing the lakes and creek water systems on the property. To our knowledge, no other ranch can replicate Boone's Mesa Vista Ranch. He has spent nearly 50 years transforming this Texas Panhandle Ranch into a wildlife paradise with spectacular water features and improvements fit for a king. The sale of the Mesa Vista Ranch is basically "turn key," including all rolling stock, equipment, pick-up trucks, hunting vehicles, farming equipment, furnishings, bird dogs, etc. The only exclusions are Boone's personal effects, livestock, and his vast art collection. The livestock are available to be purchased separately, as is the majority of the art collection. "You do everything to make the land perfect, hoping the next owner has the same passion." - T. Boone Pickens Qualified buyers can schedule a showing of the property by contacting the Brokers. Offered Jointly and Exclusively By Chas. S. Middleton and Son and Hall and Hall
$220,000,000

Premier Listing

Swenson Family Flat Top Ranch - Stonewall
#TX245957
Stonewall, 
41,000.00 acres
This property has been recently reduced from $1200 per acre to $985. The Flat Top Division of the legendary Swenson Ranch was established in 1853 - 1854 and the ranch contains 41,000 +/- acres. Elevations on the ranch range from approximately 1,600' feet to around 1,750'. The terrain over the eastern portion of the Flat Top Ranch is described as nearly level to gently rolling and sloping towards several noticeable drainages, all draining to the northeast. A very prominent elevated mesa, known as Flat Top Mountain, is located on the west-half of the ranch. The elevation change from the country below the mesa top to the country on the upper edge of the mesa is approximately 100 feet. The east face of the mesa is steep and rocky, but much of the mesa top is level and gently sloping. Views from the mesa edge are very impressive. To the west of the large mesa top, the level country transitions to header draws, becoming deeper canyon drainages, all flowing to the northwest to the Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos River. Native grass cover is considered to be good to excellent over much of the property. Principal native grasses include several varieties of bluestem, side oats grama, Texas winter grass, Arizona cottontop, blue grama, buffalo grass, tobosa, vine-mesquite, western wheat grass and sand drop seed. With favorable winter moisture, wildrye and filaree are abundant over major portions of the ranch. Approximately 6,300 acres are in cultivation, scattered over about a dozen fields throughout the ranch. All of the cultivated land is farmed on a dryland basis, principally farmed in wheat for seasonal grazing of livestock. With large areas of the ranch having very productive soils, it is estimated that an additional 10,000 acres could be broken out and farmed, if desired. With normal precipitation, this area of Texas is considered desirable wheat pasture country. LOCATION The ranch is generally located immediately west of Stamford, Texas, but two small non-contiguous tracts are located north and east of Stamford. Access to all major portions of the ranch are by paved highways and county roads. The ranch has an extensive network of well-maintained private ranch roads, making the property very accessible overall. Abilene, Texas is approximately 40 miles south of the ranch, with Fort Worth being approximately 180 miles to the east and Lubbock being approximately 140 miles to the northwest. The ranch is located on the Texas Rolling Plains, which is an area widely recognized for ranching, farming, mineral production, and in more recent years, outstanding hunting. HISTORY The historic Swenson Ranches trace their origin to Svante Magnus Swenson, the first Swedish immigrant to arrive in Texas, landing near what is now Galveston in 1838. The famous SMS brand, with two backward S’s was one of the first registered in Texas and was derived from Swenson’s initials. Swenson, a close ally of Sam Houston, played an active role in the state’s early history. He served as Travis County Commissioner in the 1850’s and as the first Treasurer of the State Agriculture Society. Swenson opened one of the first stores in Austin, introduced the Colt revolver to the frontier, and established the Swedish Pipeline which brought thousands of Swedish families to settle in Texas after the Civil War. A cabin from Swenson’s farm east of Austin, called Govalle, is enshrined today at Zilker Botanical Gardens in Austin as part of the Swedish Pioneer Village. By 1850 Svante had established himself in the general merchandise business in Austin. His large frontier trading post traded saddles, boots, blankets and many other supplies. Through his trading, Swenson began acquiring substantial amounts of land. Swenson also invested in railroad bonds and school bonds which entitled him to even more acreage. By 1860 Swenson had accumulated over 680,000 acres in Texas, much of it the unsettled territories on North Texas, north of Abilene. It was from these lands that the Flat Top Ranch was organized and is still owned by S.M. Swenson’s direct descendants. Because he was an ally of Houston’s and a vocal opponent of secession from the Union, Swenson was nearly assassinated at the beginning of the Civil War. With continuing threats on his life, he fled to Mexico in 1863 hidden under straw in a covered wagon. After the Civil War he settled in New York City where his wife and children joined him. He sold off his holdings around Austin, but maintained ownership of the land in the northern parts of Texas. In 1882 these lands were fenced and organized by Swenson’s sons, Eric and Swen Albin, and the vast ranching operations began. Initially the sons leased the ranches from their father and when Svante died in 1896, they inherited the properties. At this time there were three ranches: Ericsdahl, Eleonora and Mount Albin. The Ericsdahl Ranch which was located 7 miles east of Stamford was split up and sold to Swedish immigrants in the early 1900’s. Eleonora became known as the Throckmorton Ranch because it was in that county. The Mount Albin Ranch became known as the Flat Top Ranch because of a prominent mesa on the property. This is the ranch that Chas. S. Middleton and Son, LLC, has for sale today. The Swenson brothers hired one of S.M. Swenson’s nephews as the first manager of the overall operations. He was responsible for stocking the ranches and overseeing the construction of the headquarters, barns, and corrals, as well as the drilling of water wells. The first herds were comprised of 1,800 high-grade Durham Shorthorns and 180 Hereford-Shorthorn crosses along with registered Hereford bulls. The original remuda was driven up the Chisolm Trail from Round Rock, Texas where many Swedes had settled. The horses were a mix of Spanish and Arabian stock. The first ranch hands were mostly Swedish immigrants who had settled first in towns around Austin, like Round Rock, New Sweden and Elgin and many others came directly from Sweden. The ranches continued to grow as the family purchased the Scab 8 Ranch in 1900, adding another 79,000 acres of land to their holdings and renamed it the Tongue River Ranch. In 1906 they purchased the Espuela Ranch with other partners which gave them access to over 200,000 acres more. This ranch became the Spur Ranch and while much of it was sold off in the 1920’s, the family still owned 65,000 acres of it until the 1970’s. In order to make it easier to get their cattle to market, the Swenson brothers convinced the Texas Central Railroad to extend its rail line from Albany, Texas, 38 miles to the east, to the place that is now Stamford, Texas. The family donated the initial 640 acres from the Flat Top Ranch for the town and helped lay it out. The present headquarters for the Swenson Land & Cattle Co, was built in the town, on Swenson Street, in the 1920’s. Some of the property that is part of the Flat Top Ranch remains inside or adjacent to the town limits, including a recent purchase of about 132 acres that contains substantial cattle pens for feeding, weaning, etc. The Texas Cowboy Reunion Rodeo grounds, still the largest working cowboy rodeo in the US, was founded in Stamford by the Swenson heirs in 1930 on land that they also donated from their Flat Top holdings. In 1902 the Swenson brothers hired Frank S. Hastings as manager of their far-flung ranches and over the next two decades committed to the breeding and improvement of the SMS cattle. Under Hastings’ supervision, SMS became among the first ranches to participate in the “mail order” calf business. The cattle won many awards and developed a reputation for quality that remains today. Eric Swenson, Svante’s oldest son, remained as president of the ranches until his death in 1945. He was succeeded by one of his sons, Swen R. Swenson. In 1978 the holdings totaling over 250,000 acres were divided among four family groups. Three of the groups have since sold their ranches. The remaining group, whose land includes the Flat Top Ranch, was headed by Bruce B Swenson, one of Swen R. Swenson’s sons, and included Bruce’s brothers, Rod and Perry Swenson. The three brothers have passed away and the company that owns the Flat Top Ranch is now the Swenson Land & Cattle Co. and is chaired by Steve Swenson, one of Bruce’s sons. All the board of directors and shareholders are descendants of Svante Magnus Swenson. In recent years Swenson Land & Cattle has continued as a strong cow/calf operator and almost always gets the highest price for its class of cattle at Superior Livestock Auctions and other venues. Cattle buyers for Whole Foods have purchased the ranch’s cattle over the last 5-6 years. As a result, the Global Animal Partnership (GAP), Whole Food’s third party certification partner, has made on-site inspections of the ranch’s operations twice in the last 5 years. The ranch received a GAP 4 rating indicating it uses best practices for humane treatment of its cattle for an operation of this size. The ranch hands, now headed by Mark Voss, have won several ranch rodeo competitions over the past several years in places like Wichita Falls and Abilene. Wildlife is abundant at Flat Top and hunting leases have contributed substantial revenue in the past 10 years or so. The company sells a small amount of cattle to Svante’s Ranch Direct, a company owned by several S.M. Swenson descendants. They sell grass finished beef through farmers markets, a web site and food truck in the Austin area. As the years have gone by and the family tree continues to grow, shareholders have become more and more dispersed throughout the US and their interests have become more diverse. With many shareholders now in their mid-to late 60’s, the board reluctantly voted to sell Flat Top in order to provide some liquidity to those who wanted some. Selling Flat Top was not an easy decision for the family especially knowing that this heritage that traces directly to S.M. Swenson would pass from his great great-grandchildren and future descendants. However, the family has concluded that this the right time in their lives to do this. Sources: Clark, Mary Whatley - The Swenson Saga and the SMS Ranches (Austin, Texas: Jenkins Book Publishing Co. 1976); Baize, Wayne – Swenson Land & Cattle Company (2014); Anderson, H. Allen - SMS Ranches (Texas State Historical Association) WATER FEATURES The Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos River flows in a northeasterly direction through the ranch for approximately seven miles. Large tree cover is common along the river bottom with cedar found along the ridgelines and canyon side slopes. This area of the ranch is considered very scenic and offers great recreational appeal. Additionally, there are a number of smaller seasonal creeks throughout the property. The ranch is well watered by over 40 water wells, being a combination of windmills and electric submersible wells. These water sources distribute water to an extensive network of approximately 25 miles of waterlines and over 100 drinking troughs. Other water sources include approximately 140 earthen ponds, some of which are seasonal, with others being very large and considered to be a desirable year-round source of livestock water. Overall, the ranch is considered to be well watered. LIVESTOCK/CATTLE OPERATIONS Historically, the Flat Top Division of the Swenson Ranch has been operated as a cow/calf operation. Depending on weather conditions, the ranch is typically stocked with 850 – 1,000 mother cows, plus bulls and replacements. The ranch maintains a quality cow herd and while the cattle are not included in the sale, they are available to be purchased at market price. Current livestock inventory is approximately 855 bred cows, 90 bred heifers and 70 bulls. HUNTING, WILDLIFE AND RECREATION The Flat Top Division offers great hunting opportunities, including white tail deer, quail, dove, feral hogs and seasonal water fowl. Fishing is available in the river and several of the larger ponds. IMPROVEMENTS The ranch owns a small grow yard located just west of Stamford. The pens are of pipe construction with complete working facilities, scales and some covered pens. This tract has some adjoining pasture and farmland, which compliments the grow yard. The property is adequately improved for the day to day ranching operation. In addition to the grow yard, other structural improvements include the main headquarters, the Taylor Camp, the Farm Center, and approximately 17 sets of livestock shipping/working/branding pens. The headquarter improvements consist of the ranch manager’s home, several employee houses, barns, horse stalls and a large set of livestock shipping pens, which are equipped with scales. The Taylor Camp is improved with a camp manager’s home, bunk house and shipping pens equipped with scales. The Farm Center improvements include a metal barn/shop with a fenced area for housing farm equipment and fuel. The Flat Top Division of the Swenson Ranch is fenced and cross fenced into many multiple pastures, and most all of the fences are considered to be in average to above average condition. Totally, there are approximately 166 miles of fencing on the ranch. RESOURCES There is scattered oil production on the ranch. The original oil production was first discovered in the early 1950’s and some of this original production is still producing. In 1978, as briefly mentioned in the History of the Swenson Ranches, the four Swenson Families agreed to partition all of the ranches into four separate family divisions. After the ranches were partitioned, the three other families began selling off their divisions. At the time of this partition, each division of the Swenson Ranches had all or most all of the minerals intact. Each of the four families received one-quarter of the minerals under each of the four divisions. That being the case, the Swenson Family members owning the Flat Top Division have approximately 25% of the minerals under this ranch. Current royalty income is fairly substantial. New drilling is now underway, and recent development would suggest the possibility of a substantial new income source from oil. Since it is very difficult to determine the present value and future potential of the minerals, the family has elected to negotiate on the mineral conveyance based on the final offering price for the property. Based on the family owning approximately 25% of the minerals under the Flat Top Division, current royalty income is approximately $200,000 per year on the original production and approximately $600,000 per year on the newly discovered production. In addition to the income derived from the cattle operation and farming income, other sources of income include hunting lease revenue, periodic surface damage income and income derived from oil and gas leases and oil and gas royalty production. The hunting is leased on a year to year basis and can be extended if a buyer is not interested in hunting, or terminated, if the buyer wants possession of the hunting. The ranch just negotiated a gas pipeline easement crossing approximately 7 miles of the ranch. This pipeline has just been installed and the utility company has re-seeded this easement with grass. The ranch collected $1,300,000 for this easement. While there are no major electric transmission lines currently located on the ranch, many large wind farm developments and transmission lines are located throughout this region of Texas. With this in mind, the owners of the Flat Top Division propose to reserve 25% of any future wind energy royalty income, but the purchaser of the ranch will have full control of negotiating any future wind energy leases. PRICE AND REMARKS The Flat Top Division of the Swenson Ranch is very reasonably priced at $985 per acre. It is very seldom that a ranch of this magnitude and history becomes available in this area of Texas. The owners of the ranch are currently in the process of surveying the entire property in order to establish the exact acres of the ranch. This survey is being paid for by the owners. Property taxes are approximately $63,000 per year or about $1.50 per acre. BROKER COMMENTS The ranch is generally operated with approximately eight full-time employees. In addition to the very knowledgeable ranch manager, there is clerical help at the office in Stamford along with additional farm/ranch employees, including the Taylor Camp manager. All together this efficient staff keeps the books, pays bills, manages the day to day farming and ranching operation, maintains the property and meets with the family on a regular basis. As the broker selected to market this property, it is apparent the current employees are a valuable asset to the ranch and a buyer of this property should strongly consider keeping everyone on board. All employees are anxious to remain with the ranch. This long-term ownership ranch has not been offered for sale throughout the 165-year history of the property. This first time offering of the Swenson Flat Top Ranch is an historic opportunity to own a quality working cattle ranch, which includes an extensive farming operation that can be expanded, if desired. In addition to farming and ranching, the property offers excellent hunting opportunities, potential future wind farm development, periodic surface damage income, and the potential to share in some portion of the mineral income.
$40,385,000

Premier Listing

Swenson Family Flat Top Ranch - Jones
#TX245958
Jones, 
41,000.00 acres
This property has been recently reduced from $1200 per acre to $985. The Flat Top Division of the legendary Swenson Ranch was established in 1853 - 1854 and the ranch contains 41,000 +/- acres. Elevations on the ranch range from approximately 1,600' feet to around 1,750'. The terrain over the eastern portion of the Flat Top Ranch is described as nearly level to gently rolling and sloping towards several noticeable drainages, all draining to the northeast. A very prominent elevated mesa, known as Flat Top Mountain, is located on the west-half of the ranch. The elevation change from the country below the mesa top to the country on the upper edge of the mesa is approximately 100 feet. The east face of the mesa is steep and rocky, but much of the mesa top is level and gently sloping. Views from the mesa edge are very impressive. To the west of the large mesa top, the level country transitions to header draws, becoming deeper canyon drainages, all flowing to the northwest to the Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos River. Native grass cover is considered to be good to excellent over much of the property. Principal native grasses include several varieties of bluestem, side oats grama, Texas winter grass, Arizona cottontop, blue grama, buffalo grass, tobosa, vine-mesquite, western wheat grass and sand drop seed. With favorable winter moisture, wildrye and filaree are abundant over major portions of the ranch. Approximately 6,300 acres are in cultivation, scattered over about a dozen fields throughout the ranch. All of the cultivated land is farmed on a dryland basis, principally farmed in wheat for seasonal grazing of livestock. With large areas of the ranch having very productive soils, it is estimated that an additional 10,000 acres could be broken out and farmed, if desired. With normal precipitation, this area of Texas is considered desirable wheat pasture country. LOCATION The ranch is generally located immediately west of Stamford, Texas, but two small non-contiguous tracts are located north and east of Stamford. Access to all major portions of the ranch are by paved highways and county roads. The ranch has an extensive network of well-maintained private ranch roads, making the property very accessible overall. Abilene, Texas is approximately 40 miles south of the ranch, with Fort Worth being approximately 180 miles to the east and Lubbock being approximately 140 miles to the northwest. The ranch is located on the Texas Rolling Plains, which is an area widely recognized for ranching, farming, mineral production, and in more recent years, outstanding hunting. HISTORY The historic Swenson Ranches trace their origin to Svante Magnus Swenson, the first Swedish immigrant to arrive in Texas, landing near what is now Galveston in 1838. The famous SMS brand, with two backward S’s was one of the first registered in Texas and was derived from Swenson’s initials. Swenson, a close ally of Sam Houston, played an active role in the state’s early history. He served as Travis County Commissioner in the 1850’s and as the first Treasurer of the State Agriculture Society. Swenson opened one of the first stores in Austin, introduced the Colt revolver to the frontier, and established the Swedish Pipeline which brought thousands of Swedish families to settle in Texas after the Civil War. A cabin from Swenson’s farm east of Austin, called Govalle, is enshrined today at Zilker Botanical Gardens in Austin as part of the Swedish Pioneer Village. By 1850 Svante had established himself in the general merchandise business in Austin. His large frontier trading post traded saddles, boots, blankets and many other supplies. Through his trading, Swenson began acquiring substantial amounts of land. Swenson also invested in railroad bonds and school bonds which entitled him to even more acreage. By 1860 Swenson had accumulated over 680,000 acres in Texas, much of it the unsettled territories on North Texas, north of Abilene. It was from these lands that the Flat Top Ranch was organized and is still owned by S.M. Swenson’s direct descendants. Because he was an ally of Houston’s and a vocal opponent of secession from the Union, Swenson was nearly assassinated at the beginning of the Civil War. With continuing threats on his life, he fled to Mexico in 1863 hidden under straw in a covered wagon. After the Civil War he settled in New York City where his wife and children joined him. He sold off his holdings around Austin, but maintained ownership of the land in the northern parts of Texas. In 1882 these lands were fenced and organized by Swenson’s sons, Eric and Swen Albin, and the vast ranching operations began. Initially the sons leased the ranches from their father and when Svante died in 1896, they inherited the properties. At this time there were three ranches: Ericsdahl, Eleonora and Mount Albin. The Ericsdahl Ranch which was located 7 miles east of Stamford was split up and sold to Swedish immigrants in the early 1900’s. Eleonora became known as the Throckmorton Ranch because it was in that county. The Mount Albin Ranch became known as the Flat Top Ranch because of a prominent mesa on the property. This is the ranch that Chas. S. Middleton and Son, LLC, has for sale today. The Swenson brothers hired one of S.M. Swenson’s nephews as the first manager of the overall operations. He was responsible for stocking the ranches and overseeing the construction of the headquarters, barns, and corrals, as well as the drilling of water wells. The first herds were comprised of 1,800 high-grade Durham Shorthorns and 180 Hereford-Shorthorn crosses along with registered Hereford bulls. The original remuda was driven up the Chisolm Trail from Round Rock, Texas where many Swedes had settled. The horses were a mix of Spanish and Arabian stock. The first ranch hands were mostly Swedish immigrants who had settled first in towns around Austin, like Round Rock, New Sweden and Elgin and many others came directly from Sweden. The ranches continued to grow as the family purchased the Scab 8 Ranch in 1900, adding another 79,000 acres of land to their holdings and renamed it the Tongue River Ranch. In 1906 they purchased the Espuela Ranch with other partners which gave them access to over 200,000 acres more. This ranch became the Spur Ranch and while much of it was sold off in the 1920’s, the family still owned 65,000 acres of it until the 1970’s. In order to make it easier to get their cattle to market, the Swenson brothers convinced the Texas Central Railroad to extend its rail line from Albany, Texas, 38 miles to the east, to the place that is now Stamford, Texas. The family donated the initial 640 acres from the Flat Top Ranch for the town and helped lay it out. The present headquarters for the Swenson Land & Cattle Co, was built in the town, on Swenson Street, in the 1920’s. Some of the property that is part of the Flat Top Ranch remains inside or adjacent to the town limits, including a recent purchase of about 132 acres that contains substantial cattle pens for feeding, weaning, etc. The Texas Cowboy Reunion Rodeo grounds, still the largest working cowboy rodeo in the US, was founded in Stamford by the Swenson heirs in 1930 on land that they also donated from their Flat Top holdings. In 1902 the Swenson brothers hired Frank S. Hastings as manager of their far-flung ranches and over the next two decades committed to the breeding and improvement of the SMS cattle. Under Hastings’ supervision, SMS became among the first ranches to participate in the “mail order” calf business. The cattle won many awards and developed a reputation for quality that remains today. Eric Swenson, Svante’s oldest son, remained as president of the ranches until his death in 1945. He was succeeded by one of his sons, Swen R. Swenson. In 1978 the holdings totaling over 250,000 acres were divided among four family groups. Three of the groups have since sold their ranches. The remaining group, whose land includes the Flat Top Ranch, was headed by Bruce B Swenson, one of Swen R. Swenson’s sons, and included Bruce’s brothers, Rod and Perry Swenson. The three brothers have passed away and the company that owns the Flat Top Ranch is now the Swenson Land & Cattle Co. and is chaired by Steve Swenson, one of Bruce’s sons. All the board of directors and shareholders are descendants of Svante Magnus Swenson. In recent years Swenson Land & Cattle has continued as a strong cow/calf operator and almost always gets the highest price for its class of cattle at Superior Livestock Auctions and other venues. Cattle buyers for Whole Foods have purchased the ranch’s cattle over the last 5-6 years. As a result, the Global Animal Partnership (GAP), Whole Food’s third party certification partner, has made on-site inspections of the ranch’s operations twice in the last 5 years. The ranch received a GAP 4 rating indicating it uses best practices for humane treatment of its cattle for an operation of this size. The ranch hands, now headed by Mark Voss, have won several ranch rodeo competitions over the past several years in places like Wichita Falls and Abilene. Wildlife is abundant at Flat Top and hunting leases have contributed substantial revenue in the past 10 years or so. The company sells a small amount of cattle to Svante’s Ranch Direct, a company owned by several S.M. Swenson descendants. They sell grass finished beef through farmers markets, a web site and food truck in the Austin area. As the years have gone by and the family tree continues to grow, shareholders have become more and more dispersed throughout the US and their interests have become more diverse. With many shareholders now in their mid-to late 60’s, the board reluctantly voted to sell Flat Top in order to provide some liquidity to those who wanted some. Selling Flat Top was not an easy decision for the family especially knowing that this heritage that traces directly to S.M. Swenson would pass from his great great-grandchildren and future descendants. However, the family has concluded that this the right time in their lives to do this. Sources: Clark, Mary Whatley - The Swenson Saga and the SMS Ranches (Austin, Texas: Jenkins Book Publishing Co. 1976); Baize, Wayne – Swenson Land & Cattle Company (2014); Anderson, H. Allen - SMS Ranches (Texas State Historical Association) WATER FEATURES The Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos River flows in a northeasterly direction through the ranch for approximately seven miles. Large tree cover is common along the river bottom with cedar found along the ridgelines and canyon side slopes. This area of the ranch is considered very scenic and offers great recreational appeal. Additionally, there are a number of smaller seasonal creeks throughout the property. The ranch is well watered by over 40 water wells, being a combination of windmills and electric submersible wells. These water sources distribute water to an extensive network of approximately 25 miles of waterlines and over 100 drinking troughs. Other water sources include approximately 140 earthen ponds, some of which are seasonal, with others being very large and considered to be a desirable year-round source of livestock water. Overall, the ranch is considered to be well watered. LIVESTOCK/CATTLE OPERATIONS Historically, the Flat Top Division of the Swenson Ranch has been operated as a cow/calf operation. Depending on weather conditions, the ranch is typically stocked with 850 – 1,000 mother cows, plus bulls and replacements. The ranch maintains a quality cow herd and while the cattle are not included in the sale, they are available to be purchased at market price. Current livestock inventory is approximately 855 bred cows, 90 bred heifers and 70 bulls. HUNTING, WILDLIFE AND RECREATION The Flat Top Division offers great hunting opportunities, including white tail deer, quail, dove, feral hogs and seasonal water fowl. Fishing is available in the river and several of the larger ponds. IMPROVEMENTS The ranch owns a small grow yard located just west of Stamford. The pens are of pipe construction with complete working facilities, scales and some covered pens. This tract has some adjoining pasture and farmland, which compliments the grow yard. The property is adequately improved for the day to day ranching operation. In addition to the grow yard, other structural improvements include the main headquarters, the Taylor Camp, the Farm Center, and approximately 17 sets of livestock shipping/working/branding pens. The headquarter improvements consist of the ranch manager’s home, several employee houses, barns, horse stalls and a large set of livestock shipping pens, which are equipped with scales. The Taylor Camp is improved with a camp manager’s home, bunk house and shipping pens equipped with scales. The Farm Center improvements include a metal barn/shop with a fenced area for housing farm equipment and fuel. The Flat Top Division of the Swenson Ranch is fenced and cross fenced into many multiple pastures, and most all of the fences are considered to be in average to above average condition. Totally, there are approximately 166 miles of fencing on the ranch. RESOURCES There is scattered oil production on the ranch. The original oil production was first discovered in the early 1950’s and some of this original production is still producing. In 1978, as briefly mentioned in the History of the Swenson Ranches, the four Swenson Families agreed to partition all of the ranches into four separate family divisions. After the ranches were partitioned, the three other families began selling off their divisions. At the time of this partition, each division of the Swenson Ranches had all or most all of the minerals intact. Each of the four families received one-quarter of the minerals under each of the four divisions. That being the case, the Swenson Family members owning the Flat Top Division have approximately 25% of the minerals under this ranch. Current royalty income is fairly substantial. New drilling is now underway, and recent development would suggest the possibility of a substantial new income source from oil. Since it is very difficult to determine the present value and future potential of the minerals, the family has elected to negotiate on the mineral conveyance based on the final offering price for the property. Based on the family owning approximately 25% of the minerals under the Flat Top Division, current royalty income is approximately $200,000 per year on the original production and approximately $600,000 per year on the newly discovered production. In addition to the income derived from the cattle operation and farming income, other sources of income include hunting lease revenue, periodic surface damage income and income derived from oil and gas leases and oil and gas royalty production. The hunting is leased on a year to year basis and can be extended if a buyer is not interested in hunting, or terminated, if the buyer wants possession of the hunting. The ranch just negotiated a gas pipeline easement crossing approximately 7 miles of the ranch. This pipeline has just been installed and the utility company has re-seeded this easement with grass. The ranch collected $1,300,000 for this easement. While there are no major electric transmission lines currently located on the ranch, many large wind farm developments and transmission lines are located throughout this region of Texas. With this in mind, the owners of the Flat Top Division propose to reserve 25% of any future wind energy royalty income, but the purchaser of the ranch will have full control of negotiating any future wind energy leases. PRICE AND REMARKS The Flat Top Division of the Swenson Ranch is very reasonably priced at $985 per acre. It is very seldom that a ranch of this magnitude and history becomes available in this area of Texas. The owners of the ranch are currently in the process of surveying the entire property in order to establish the exact acres of the ranch. This survey is being paid for by the owners. Property taxes are approximately $63,000 per year or about $1.50 per acre. BROKER COMMENTS The ranch is generally operated with approximately eight full-time employees. In addition to the very knowledgeable ranch manager, there is clerical help at the office in Stamford along with additional farm/ranch employees, including the Taylor Camp manager. All together this efficient staff keeps the books, pays bills, manages the day to day farming and ranching operation, maintains the property and meets with the family on a regular basis. As the broker selected to market this property, it is apparent the current employees are a valuable asset to the ranch and a buyer of this property should strongly consider keeping everyone on board. All employees are anxious to remain with the ranch. This long-term ownership ranch has not been offered for sale throughout the 165-year history of the property. This first time offering of the Swenson Flat Top Ranch is an historic opportunity to own a quality working cattle ranch, which includes an extensive farming operation that can be expanded, if desired. In addition to farming and ranching, the property offers excellent hunting opportunities, potential future wind farm development, periodic surface damage income, and the potential to share in some portion of the mineral income.
$40,385,000

Premier Listing

Swenson Family Flat Top Ranch - Haskell
#TX245959
Haskell, 
41,000.00 acres
This property has been recently reduced from $1200 per acre to $985. The Flat Top Division of the legendary Swenson Ranch was established in 1853 - 1854 and the ranch contains 41,000 +/- acres. Elevations on the ranch range from approximately 1,600' feet to around 1,750'. The terrain over the eastern portion of the Flat Top Ranch is described as nearly level to gently rolling and sloping towards several noticeable drainages, all draining to the northeast. A very prominent elevated mesa, known as Flat Top Mountain, is located on the west-half of the ranch. The elevation change from the country below the mesa top to the country on the upper edge of the mesa is approximately 100 feet. The east face of the mesa is steep and rocky, but much of the mesa top is level and gently sloping. Views from the mesa edge are very impressive. To the west of the large mesa top, the level country transitions to header draws, becoming deeper canyon drainages, all flowing to the northwest to the Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos River. Native grass cover is considered to be good to excellent over much of the property. Principal native grasses include several varieties of bluestem, side oats grama, Texas winter grass, Arizona cottontop, blue grama, buffalo grass, tobosa, vine-mesquite, western wheat grass and sand drop seed. With favorable winter moisture, wildrye and filaree are abundant over major portions of the ranch. Approximately 6,300 acres are in cultivation, scattered over about a dozen fields throughout the ranch. All of the cultivated land is farmed on a dryland basis, principally farmed in wheat for seasonal grazing of livestock. With large areas of the ranch having very productive soils, it is estimated that an additional 10,000 acres could be broken out and farmed, if desired. With normal precipitation, this area of Texas is considered desirable wheat pasture country. LOCATION The ranch is generally located immediately west of Stamford, Texas, but two small non-contiguous tracts are located north and east of Stamford. Access to all major portions of the ranch are by paved highways and county roads. The ranch has an extensive network of well-maintained private ranch roads, making the property very accessible overall. Abilene, Texas is approximately 40 miles south of the ranch, with Fort Worth being approximately 180 miles to the east and Lubbock being approximately 140 miles to the northwest. The ranch is located on the Texas Rolling Plains, which is an area widely recognized for ranching, farming, mineral production, and in more recent years, outstanding hunting. HISTORY The historic Swenson Ranches trace their origin to Svante Magnus Swenson, the first Swedish immigrant to arrive in Texas, landing near what is now Galveston in 1838. The famous SMS brand, with two backward S’s was one of the first registered in Texas and was derived from Swenson’s initials. Swenson, a close ally of Sam Houston, played an active role in the state’s early history. He served as Travis County Commissioner in the 1850’s and as the first Treasurer of the State Agriculture Society. Swenson opened one of the first stores in Austin, introduced the Colt revolver to the frontier, and established the Swedish Pipeline which brought thousands of Swedish families to settle in Texas after the Civil War. A cabin from Swenson’s farm east of Austin, called Govalle, is enshrined today at Zilker Botanical Gardens in Austin as part of the Swedish Pioneer Village. By 1850 Svante had established himself in the general merchandise business in Austin. His large frontier trading post traded saddles, boots, blankets and many other supplies. Through his trading, Swenson began acquiring substantial amounts of land. Swenson also invested in railroad bonds and school bonds which entitled him to even more acreage. By 1860 Swenson had accumulated over 680,000 acres in Texas, much of it the unsettled territories on North Texas, north of Abilene. It was from these lands that the Flat Top Ranch was organized and is still owned by S.M. Swenson’s direct descendants. Because he was an ally of Houston’s and a vocal opponent of secession from the Union, Swenson was nearly assassinated at the beginning of the Civil War. With continuing threats on his life, he fled to Mexico in 1863 hidden under straw in a covered wagon. After the Civil War he settled in New York City where his wife and children joined him. He sold off his holdings around Austin, but maintained ownership of the land in the northern parts of Texas. In 1882 these lands were fenced and organized by Swenson’s sons, Eric and Swen Albin, and the vast ranching operations began. Initially the sons leased the ranches from their father and when Svante died in 1896, they inherited the properties. At this time there were three ranches: Ericsdahl, Eleonora and Mount Albin. The Ericsdahl Ranch which was located 7 miles east of Stamford was split up and sold to Swedish immigrants in the early 1900’s. Eleonora became known as the Throckmorton Ranch because it was in that county. The Mount Albin Ranch became known as the Flat Top Ranch because of a prominent mesa on the property. This is the ranch that Chas. S. Middleton and Son, LLC, has for sale today. The Swenson brothers hired one of S.M. Swenson’s nephews as the first manager of the overall operations. He was responsible for stocking the ranches and overseeing the construction of the headquarters, barns, and corrals, as well as the drilling of water wells. The first herds were comprised of 1,800 high-grade Durham Shorthorns and 180 Hereford-Shorthorn crosses along with registered Hereford bulls. The original remuda was driven up the Chisolm Trail from Round Rock, Texas where many Swedes had settled. The horses were a mix of Spanish and Arabian stock. The first ranch hands were mostly Swedish immigrants who had settled first in towns around Austin, like Round Rock, New Sweden and Elgin and many others came directly from Sweden. The ranches continued to grow as the family purchased the Scab 8 Ranch in 1900, adding another 79,000 acres of land to their holdings and renamed it the Tongue River Ranch. In 1906 they purchased the Espuela Ranch with other partners which gave them access to over 200,000 acres more. This ranch became the Spur Ranch and while much of it was sold off in the 1920’s, the family still owned 65,000 acres of it until the 1970’s. In order to make it easier to get their cattle to market, the Swenson brothers convinced the Texas Central Railroad to extend its rail line from Albany, Texas, 38 miles to the east, to the place that is now Stamford, Texas. The family donated the initial 640 acres from the Flat Top Ranch for the town and helped lay it out. The present headquarters for the Swenson Land & Cattle Co, was built in the town, on Swenson Street, in the 1920’s. Some of the property that is part of the Flat Top Ranch remains inside or adjacent to the town limits, including a recent purchase of about 132 acres that contains substantial cattle pens for feeding, weaning, etc. The Texas Cowboy Reunion Rodeo grounds, still the largest working cowboy rodeo in the US, was founded in Stamford by the Swenson heirs in 1930 on land that they also donated from their Flat Top holdings. In 1902 the Swenson brothers hired Frank S. Hastings as manager of their far-flung ranches and over the next two decades committed to the breeding and improvement of the SMS cattle. Under Hastings’ supervision, SMS became among the first ranches to participate in the “mail order” calf business. The cattle won many awards and developed a reputation for quality that remains today. Eric Swenson, Svante’s oldest son, remained as president of the ranches until his death in 1945. He was succeeded by one of his sons, Swen R. Swenson. In 1978 the holdings totaling over 250,000 acres were divided among four family groups. Three of the groups have since sold their ranches. The remaining group, whose land includes the Flat Top Ranch, was headed by Bruce B Swenson, one of Swen R. Swenson’s sons, and included Bruce’s brothers, Rod and Perry Swenson. The three brothers have passed away and the company that owns the Flat Top Ranch is now the Swenson Land & Cattle Co. and is chaired by Steve Swenson, one of Bruce’s sons. All the board of directors and shareholders are descendants of Svante Magnus Swenson. In recent years Swenson Land & Cattle has continued as a strong cow/calf operator and almost always gets the highest price for its class of cattle at Superior Livestock Auctions and other venues. Cattle buyers for Whole Foods have purchased the ranch’s cattle over the last 5-6 years. As a result, the Global Animal Partnership (GAP), Whole Food’s third party certification partner, has made on-site inspections of the ranch’s operations twice in the last 5 years. The ranch received a GAP 4 rating indicating it uses best practices for humane treatment of its cattle for an operation of this size. The ranch hands, now headed by Mark Voss, have won several ranch rodeo competitions over the past several years in places like Wichita Falls and Abilene. Wildlife is abundant at Flat Top and hunting leases have contributed substantial revenue in the past 10 years or so. The company sells a small amount of cattle to Svante’s Ranch Direct, a company owned by several S.M. Swenson descendants. They sell grass finished beef through farmers markets, a web site and food truck in the Austin area. As the years have gone by and the family tree continues to grow, shareholders have become more and more dispersed throughout the US and their interests have become more diverse. With many shareholders now in their mid-to late 60’s, the board reluctantly voted to sell Flat Top in order to provide some liquidity to those who wanted some. Selling Flat Top was not an easy decision for the family especially knowing that this heritage that traces directly to S.M. Swenson would pass from his great great-grandchildren and future descendants. However, the family has concluded that this the right time in their lives to do this. Sources: Clark, Mary Whatley - The Swenson Saga and the SMS Ranches (Austin, Texas: Jenkins Book Publishing Co. 1976); Baize, Wayne – Swenson Land & Cattle Company (2014); Anderson, H. Allen - SMS Ranches (Texas State Historical Association) WATER FEATURES The Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos River flows in a northeasterly direction through the ranch for approximately seven miles. Large tree cover is common along the river bottom with cedar found along the ridgelines and canyon side slopes. This area of the ranch is considered very scenic and offers great recreational appeal. Additionally, there are a number of smaller seasonal creeks throughout the property. The ranch is well watered by over 40 water wells, being a combination of windmills and electric submersible wells. These water sources distribute water to an extensive network of approximately 25 miles of waterlines and over 100 drinking troughs. Other water sources include approximately 140 earthen ponds, some of which are seasonal, with others being very large and considered to be a desirable year-round source of livestock water. Overall, the ranch is considered to be well watered. LIVESTOCK/CATTLE OPERATIONS Historically, the Flat Top Division of the Swenson Ranch has been operated as a cow/calf operation. Depending on weather conditions, the ranch is typically stocked with 850 – 1,000 mother cows, plus bulls and replacements. The ranch maintains a quality cow herd and while the cattle are not included in the sale, they are available to be purchased at market price. Current livestock inventory is approximately 855 bred cows, 90 bred heifers and 70 bulls. HUNTING, WILDLIFE AND RECREATION The Flat Top Division offers great hunting opportunities, including white tail deer, quail, dove, feral hogs and seasonal water fowl. Fishing is available in the river and several of the larger ponds. IMPROVEMENTS The ranch owns a small grow yard located just west of Stamford. The pens are of pipe construction with complete working facilities, scales and some covered pens. This tract has some adjoining pasture and farmland, which compliments the grow yard. The property is adequately improved for the day to day ranching operation. In addition to the grow yard, other structural improvements include the main headquarters, the Taylor Camp, the Farm Center, and approximately 17 sets of livestock shipping/working/branding pens. The headquarter improvements consist of the ranch manager’s home, several employee houses, barns, horse stalls and a large set of livestock shipping pens, which are equipped with scales. The Taylor Camp is improved with a camp manager’s home, bunk house and shipping pens equipped with scales. The Farm Center improvements include a metal barn/shop with a fenced area for housing farm equipment and fuel. The Flat Top Division of the Swenson Ranch is fenced and cross fenced into many multiple pastures, and most all of the fences are considered to be in average to above average condition. Totally, there are approximately 166 miles of fencing on the ranch. RESOURCES There is scattered oil production on the ranch. The original oil production was first discovered in the early 1950’s and some of this original production is still producing. In 1978, as briefly mentioned in the History of the Swenson Ranches, the four Swenson Families agreed to partition all of the ranches into four separate family divisions. After the ranches were partitioned, the three other families began selling off their divisions. At the time of this partition, each division of the Swenson Ranches had all or most all of the minerals intact. Each of the four families received one-quarter of the minerals under each of the four divisions. That being the case, the Swenson Family members owning the Flat Top Division have approximately 25% of the minerals under this ranch. Current royalty income is fairly substantial. New drilling is now underway, and recent development would suggest the possibility of a substantial new income source from oil. Since it is very difficult to determine the present value and future potential of the minerals, the family has elected to negotiate on the mineral conveyance based on the final offering price for the property. Based on the family owning approximately 25% of the minerals under the Flat Top Division, current royalty income is approximately $200,000 per year on the original production and approximately $600,000 per year on the newly discovered production. In addition to the income derived from the cattle operation and farming income, other sources of income include hunting lease revenue, periodic surface damage income and income derived from oil and gas leases and oil and gas royalty production. The hunting is leased on a year to year basis and can be extended if a buyer is not interested in hunting, or terminated, if the buyer wants possession of the hunting. The ranch just negotiated a gas pipeline easement crossing approximately 7 miles of the ranch. This pipeline has just been installed and the utility company has re-seeded this easement with grass. The ranch collected $1,300,000 for this easement. While there are no major electric transmission lines currently located on the ranch, many large wind farm developments and transmission lines are located throughout this region of Texas. With this in mind, the owners of the Flat Top Division propose to reserve 25% of any future wind energy royalty income, but the purchaser of the ranch will have full control of negotiating any future wind energy leases. PRICE AND REMARKS The Flat Top Division of the Swenson Ranch is very reasonably priced at $985 per acre. It is very seldom that a ranch of this magnitude and history becomes available in this area of Texas. The owners of the ranch are currently in the process of surveying the entire property in order to establish the exact acres of the ranch. This survey is being paid for by the owners. Property taxes are approximately $63,000 per year or about $1.50 per acre. BROKER COMMENTS The ranch is generally operated with approximately eight full-time employees. In addition to the very knowledgeable ranch manager, there is clerical help at the office in Stamford along with additional farm/ranch employees, including the Taylor Camp manager. All together this efficient staff keeps the books, pays bills, manages the day to day farming and ranching operation, maintains the property and meets with the family on a regular basis. As the broker selected to market this property, it is apparent the current employees are a valuable asset to the ranch and a buyer of this property should strongly consider keeping everyone on board. All employees are anxious to remain with the ranch. This long-term ownership ranch has not been offered for sale throughout the 165-year history of the property. This first time offering of the Swenson Flat Top Ranch is an historic opportunity to own a quality working cattle ranch, which includes an extensive farming operation that can be expanded, if desired. In addition to farming and ranching, the property offers excellent hunting opportunities, potential future wind farm development, periodic surface damage income, and the potential to share in some portion of the mineral income.
$40,385,000

Premier Listing

Double Nickel on the Niobrara
#NE457821
Cherry, 
34,617.00 acres
Located in the Sandhills of Nebraska, the Double Nickel on the Niobrara is one of the finest ranches in the Midwest. An extremely diverse landscape of Sandhills grasslands, pine covered hills and draws, irrigated production farmland and wooded river bottoms provide an amazing combination of beauty, production and recreation seldom seen in a single offering.This unique property is nestled in the beautiful Sandhills region of Northwestern Nebraska, tucked against the Niobrara National Scenic River. This diverse terrain totals approximately 34,617+/- deeded acres with the opportunity for approximately 22,607+/- leased acres. Traveling through the ranch, one will find open plains, rugged terrain and scenic trails through many wooded areas following the 7 miles of river. Excellent wildlife habitat with river bottom and Ponderosa pine covered hills, dramatic caprock views. This income producing ranch offers something for everyone including the cow/calf rancher, seasoned investor, or outdoors enthusiast. Ideal for operating cattle and crop production, this beautiful property could also make an amazing country gentleman’s ranch and getaway. Double Nickel on the Niobrara is that special place, perfect to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life.Cattle Operation:Featuring a capacity for carrying up to 4200 mother cows, the cash flow and the potential of this investment is unparalleled. The current owners operate the ranch with production on the pivots in various types of forage for cattle. Alfalfa, Sudan grass, sorghum and native grass are produced to continue the carrying capacity throughout the year. Across the ranch there are well designed and maintained cattle working facilities that include a 500 head feedlot, large calving shed and livestock barn, and multiple outbuildings.Water:The ranch offers an abundance of quality water. Water is pumped from multiple wells as well as pump stations along the river for livestock and irrigating crops. An extensive system consisting of windmills, solar wells, pipeline, and tanks provide water throughout the ranch. All irrigation pumps and pivots operate with electricity on both ranches. Currently, 13 Center Irrigation Pivots combine for over 2200 acres of irrigated crop land. There are also multiple lakes and ponds located on the ranch, 7 miles of the Niobrara River as well as several miles of Medicine Creek and Steer Creek. (Average rainfall in the area is 19”-22” annually.) Recreation:Double Nickel on the Niobrara is a hunter’s paradise. High quality habitat and readily available water make the ranch a diverse haven to all kinds of wildlife. Starting with the largest inhabitants, the ranch is home to over 200 elk with bulls averaging 310”- 360” Boone and Crockett. Large herds of Mule deer and Whitetail deer can be found both along the river as well as out in the Sandhills offering the opportunity for high quality trophy bucks. Huge flocks of Merriam’s Turkey can be found moving along the fields and tree lined banks of the river. Other wildlife that call the ranch home include Pheasants, prairie chicken, several kinds of ducks as well as Canada geese. Coyotes, bobcat, and the occasional Mountain Lion have all traveled the expanse of the property. There are fishing opportunities in the river and the many ponds on the ranch that include trout and a mix of warm water species. The river provides plenty of opportunity for float trips on tubes, canoe or as the locals like to travel….in a stock tank. Under current operations, the ranch is leased out for hunting. There are cabins on the ranch to accommodate guests, hunters, or fisherman. Other Agri-tourism revenue streams are possible to accompany the hunting operations.The Ranch Details:The ranch consists of 2 units, the East & the West. The West Unit being a mix of sandhills pastures and excellent sub-irrigated and irrigated bottoms. It also has multiple ponds, two lakes and Medicine Creek that flows through its entirety. The West unit also has two residences and multiple outbuildings for the cattle and farming operation.  The East Unit sits along the banks of the Niobrara River and lays adjacent to largest portion of the lease on the Sam McKelvie National Forest. Good feed production with sub-irrigated meadows and pivot irrigated fields. The East Unit has several nice homes, cabins, multiple steel Morton buildings, grain storage.Double Nickel on the Niobrara East:     15,300+/- Deeded Acres     16,500+/- Leased Acres (Samuel R McKelvie Forest Lease)      2,107+/- Leased Acres (State and/or Private Leases)     4 Houses & 4 Cabins     Additional Outbuildings: Shop, Machinery Shed, Calving Sheds, Fire Truck Garage     240,000-Bushel Storage Facility     9 Center Irrigation Pivots with ground & surface water rights (1,484+/- acres)     7 miles of Niobrara River FrontageDouble Nickel on the Niobrara West:     19,317+/- Deeded Acres     4,000+/- Leased Acres (Samuel R McKelvie Forest Lease)     4 Houses     500+/- Head Feedlot     4 Center Irrigation Pivots with ground water rights (764+/- irrigated acres)Location:< 1-hour drive from Valentine, NE3.5-hour drive from Rapid City, SD6-hour drive from Omaha, NE6.5-hour drive from Denver, CO Nearest Airports:Miller Field- Valentine Nebraska (VTN)Runway 3701’x60’ asphaltFuel available- 100LL, Jet AHangers and tiedowns availableDistance to ranch-26 milesAinsworth Regional Airport-Ainsworth, Nebraska (ANW)Runway- 6824’ x 110’ asphaltFuel available- 100LL, Jet A.Distance to ranch-71 milesThomas County Airport- Thedford, Nebraska (TIF)Runway- 4400’ x 60’ asphaltFuel available- 100LL, self-service credit card.Hangers and tiedowns availableDistance to ranch-91 milesNorth Platte Regional Airport- North Platte Nebraska (LBF) Commercial service availableRunway- 8001’x150’ concrete/groovedRunway-4436’x100’ concreteFuel-100LL, Jet AHangers and tiedowns availableDistance to ranch-157 milesOther Area Attractions:Smith Falls State Park, Forth Niobrara and Valentine National Wildlife Refuges as well as Merritt Reservoir State Recreation Area which is some of the best Walleye fishing in northern Nebraska. Fredrick Peak Golf Course is a fantastic 10-hole course designed by the Lehman Design Group know for the Dunes course at the Prairie Club.Livestock and machinery: Not included in listing price. 
$42,500,000

Premier Listing

Cape Froward
#406167
235,500.00 acres
Cape Froward is an astounding 235,500 acres of beauty in Patagonia, Chile. Cape Froward views encompass the entire southern part of the Strait and the Darwin Mountains, the Magdelena Channel and all the islands to the south in the Drake Sea. The property has about 27 miles of coastline. The abundance of flora and fauna make Cape Froward an incredible opportunity to develop a nature preserve for conservation and ecotourism. There are also very good tax incentives as well as opportunities to tap the carbon bond markets. Location Cape Froward is located just 62 miles south of Punta Arenas which is the capital of Patagonia. Nature Over 50 species of birds are found on the property along with numerous species of mammals such as puma, fox, and deer (Huemel) as well as sea mammals such as humpback whales and sea otters. Co-listed with Fitzroy Tourism and Real Estate
$35,000,000

Premier Listing

South GI Ranch
#OR459238
Crook, 
36,217.00 acres
The South GI Ranch is a productive, income producing cattle ranch with private recreation opportunities. The ranch encompasses 36,217. +/- deeded acres with 3,682 +/-acres irrigation water rights for the pivot hay fields and meadow pastures. The landscape is diverse with a combination of high desert, meadows, springs, lakes, creeks, canyons and the headwaters of the South Fork of the Crooked River. The ranch includes BLM/State grazing allotments, is fenced, crossed with developed livestock water from springs, wells and pipelines for livestock operations. The headquarters for the ranch is private, overlooking the lake and includes: multiple homes, bunkhouses, barns, shop, pipe corrals and scales. The ranch shows years of land stewardship including development of wildlife habitat, fisheries in the natural streams and lakes and grassland management increasing the production and recreational opportunities!
$29,557,000

Premier Listing

Pecan Plantation
#TX381016
Hood, 
1,500.00 acres
Pecan Plantation | 1,500 acres | Granbury, Texas KEY INFO Sitting in the center of north central Texas is a unique land mass resembling a peninsula, almost completely surrounded by the Brazos River. The river was first called Brazos de Dios by Spanish explorers, meaning Arms of God. 1,500 acres of operating pecan orchard within the unincorporated community of Pecan Plantation, Hood County, Texas. Property owned, developed, & operated by one family for 70 years. Highest & best use is the continuing development of the pecan orchard as residential home sites. Pecan Plantation is a secure gated community of over 6,000 residents, with over 3,000 homes, & listed by CNBC as the 6th best suburb for retirement in the U.S. Residents are part of a community consisting of these key advantages: - Surrounded by 17 miles of the scenic Brazos River. - Governed by a homeowners association. - Very reasonable dues & fees, as well as reasonable taxes. - A full-service country club. - Two 18-hole golf courses. - Two private airports. - A marina on Lake Granbury. - Gated 24-hour security. - Community center, Equestrian center, walking & riding trails, parks & picnic areas. - Commercial center featuring a bank, grocery store, medical center, pharmacy, plus other businesses & services. - Seven miles from historic Granbury, one hour to downtown Fort Worth, 1.5 hours to DFW International Airport. THE OFFERING Offering consists of the opportunity to: - Develop up to 1,165 additional residential lots within Pecan Plantation, located in a high growth area of Texas. Substantial portion of infrastructure in place, such as, main water distribution & sewer collection lines, as well as major access & interior roads. Concept plan pre-approved by Hood County. Electricity, telephone & internet readily available. - Continue the operation of a historic major pecan orchard, with: Management & staff in place. Completely irrigated with modern drip system, with adequate water contracts with Brazos River Authority. Fully equipped with machinery & equipment for operations. Barns, sheds & cleaning plant to support the pecan operations. OPPORTUNITY Key advantages to prospective owner: - Located in a proven & vibrant community. - Extensive infrastructure would save years & substantial capital expenditure in start-up preparations for a developer/homebuilder. - Relatively easy permitting & approval processes. - Opportunities to acquire related businesses that would assist in offsetting holding costs over time. - Marketing advantages of developing a property with the beauty of mature pecan trees pre-landscaping most of the property. - The undeveloped land (pecan orchard), is income producing, therefore offsetting much of the interim holding costs.
$27,000,000

Premier Listing

Elk Mountain Cattle Ranch
#CO464817
Park, 
120,000.00 acres
The Elk Mountain Cattle Ranch consists of approximately 120,000 total acres of which approximately 30,000 are deeded and approximately 90,000 are leased. The ranch falls entirely within Colorado's three largest intermontane grassland basins. "South Park" consists of nearly 1,000 square miles and has a history rich with ranching. So much so that Congress designated it a National Heritage area in 2009- one of only fifty five in the United States of America. Ranch headquarters is at 8,800 feet above sea level in the Town of Hartsel in Park County. Within two hours of the ranch are Colorado's two most populous cities- Denver and Colorado Springs. Each feature international commercial and private airports. The ranch is cradled by 72 million year old 14,000 foot peaks and is located at the headwaters of the South Platte River. Within the borders of the ranch are over 30 miles of named rivers and creeks and over 6,000 surface acres of stored South Platte River water for front range Colorado supply in both Spinney Mountain and Elevenmile Canyon Reservoirs. The current cow calf operation consists of approximately 1,200 mother cows plus bulls and 500 pair of bison plus bulls. The ranch is run by the four generation family that began assembling it 40 years ago. They live on the ranch in it's five ranch homes each between three and five bedrooms. Unique to the operation is a water right for 81 acre feet of water out of Spinney Mountain Reservoir. The hunting and angling on the ranch is spectacular featuring Boone and Crockett pronghorn, trophy mule deer and elk hunting. Some of the six ponds on the ranch have been stocked and the Middle Fork of the South Platte River presents an opportunity to improve aquatic habitat for over 3 miles of private fly fishing. Elk Mountain Cattle Ranch has never before been offered for sale to the market and represents a significant and incredibly diverse investment offered in whole or parts. Please contact Michael Ledger at 303.596.8898 with questions and please visit the Confluence Land website for complete details on this offering including a complete brochure and ranch videos.
$26,500,000

Premier Listing

Monarch Ranch
#TX301315
Val Verde, 
40,138.00 acres
NEW LOWER PRICE! A rare jewel in the desert, the Monarch Ranch is located on over 5 miles of the pristine Devils River 30 miles upstream from Lake Amistad. Stunning views of the Devils River Basin and deep canyons greet visitors to the ranch as you climb over 300’ from the river. Fantastic hunting and fishing, miles of paved roads and a 6,000’ lighted and paved airport runway make the ranch extremely accessible in this dramatic country. The purported largest volume cave in Texas and remains of Fort Hudson are just a few of the amazing sites to visit on the ranch. Location: The ranch is located on Highway 163 near Baker’s Crossing, 25 miles north of Lake Amistad and also has frontage on FM 1024 from Comstock. Habitat: The Monarch Ranch is found where multiple eco-systems meet, including elements of the Chihuahuan Desert, Edwards Plateau and Tamaulipan Thornscrub along with deep river basin soils containing towering pecan trees and majestic live oaks along the riverbank. The property contains important portions of the Devils River watershed including its recharge zone, tributaries, springs, riparian gallery woodlands, caves and karst aquifer systems. Along the lower lands of the river and canyons, live oaks, pecans and sycamores dominate the landscape. Much of the area along the river is a true riparian eco-system with reeds, tall bunch grasses and cane breaks dominating the zone. As you move away from the river, the ranches steep topography is dominated by ashe juniper, some oaks, and cacti. This is a very rugged country with breathtaking views and caves for exploring. The upper highlands have extensive native grasses, diverse brush species and some ashe juniper dominating the landscape. Wildlife: The multitude of differing environments on this ranch creates country that has an amazing biodiversity. White-tailed deer are found throughout the ranch, and the occasional mule deer can be found in the highlands. Turkey are plentiful in the bottoms along with a strong population of bob-white quail. Aoudad Sheep are found along the steep cliffs and canyons coming up from the river bottom. Blue quail are common in the highlands, along with strong populations of mourning dove. Bobcats, coyotes, badgers, and mountain lions are also very common in the area. The Devils River brings in a host of wildlife that might not be commonly found this far west, including plenty of ducks, amazing migrations of monarch butterflies and raptors such as Bald Eagles and Ospreys that hunt the fish in the river. The Monarch Ranch is managed under an MLD III plan (currently referred to as a MLD Conservation Plan), allowing for extended seasons for deer hunting and professional management of the wildlife. The fishing in the Devils River on the Monarch is truly lights out. Perhaps the best small mouth bass fishery in the State of Texas exists in the cool clear waters of the river here with many fish exceeding six pounds. Largemouth bass are also abundant along with bream and catfish. Water: The Devils River is considered the purest water in the State of Texas and is used by the State as the index for clean water. The river’s headwater springs are on the neighboring ranch up river from the Monarch. The ranch has over 5 miles of frontage on the river, including over a mile and a half of both sides of the river. There are multiple springs on the ranch, including a large spring (Phillips Spring) that feeds pristine water into the river. Further, many seeps can be found in the canyons, particularly during wet periods. Groundwater is available in this region that is of excellent quality. There are 25 water wells on the property (electric pump, solar and windmills) as well as miles of water pipelines distributing the water throughout the property. Improvements: Housing on the Monarch is modest and not too extensive. On the west side of the river there is a mobile home used for the ranch foreman and a “pilots cabin” near the airport that is relatively new and very comfortable. On the east side there are several modular homes and the main lodge that sits along the river bottom. The airport on the west side of the ranch has a newly paved 6,000’ runway with stripes and lights and includes a large hangar and fuel tanks. There are over 13 miles of paved roads on the ranch that are in excellent condition and make getting around the extensive ranch very easy. The ranch also has the only private bridge over the Devils River in existence. Electricity: There are multiple access points to electricity throughout much of the ranch. Minerals: Approximately 13,000 net mineral acres are owned by Seller on the Monarch, and there are significant State Classified Minerals on the ranch as well. Conservation Easement: The owner of the Monarch Ranch donated a conservation easement on this fabulous property to help conserve this unique part of Texas. The ecological values along the Devils River warrant stewarding and protection for future owners and heirs to enjoy the quiet solitude it offers. Thousands of acres along the Devils River have Conservation Easements which ensure that much of the area will remain in its natural state and be an oasis of nature. This working example of cooperative conservation has brought private land-owners, Texas Parks & Wildlife Department and The Nature Conservancy together with a common goal to keep the wild Devils River wild and running clear for the future. As owner of the property you would be part of one of the largest “conservation neighborhoods” in Texas. Highlights of the easement include: The Monarch East Ranch and Monarch West Ranch may each be subdivided into two separate ranches. There are currently six existing home sites on the Monarch East Ranch which can be maintained and remodeled by the owner. On the Monarch West Ranch there are currently two existing homes which can also be maintained and remodeled. A total of six new “Residence Compounds” may be built on the Monarch Ranch. Each of these compounds may be up to ten acres and multiple buildings may be built in each new compound. These compounds may not be built within any of the No Development Zones with the exception that two new compounds may be built near the river on the Monarch West (there is currently an existing building compound on the Monarch East river frontage). New roads may be built to access the new Residence Compounds and all existing roads may be maintained and improved. Livestock grazing, crops, orchards and vineyards may be grown on the property outside of the No Development Zones. No restrictions on hunting and fishing, blind placements, etc. Established caliche pits are recognized on the ranch and may be used to maintain existing roads and build new roads to residence compounds. History: The Monarch Ranch is located in a historically rich section of Val Verde County. Following Texas independence from Mexico in 1836, John Coffee Hays is the first American recorded to visit Val Verde County in an effort to establish a road from San Antonio to El Paso in 1848. During his time tracking the road, he renames the San Pedro River the Devils River, to fit with the difficult terrain. Fort Hudson also known as Camp Hudson was located on the San Pedro Creek, a tributary of the Devils River. Established in June of 1857, the gravel and lime constructed fort has a state marker on the highway and gravestones of fallen soldiers on the property. Fort Hudson was one of several camps built between San Antonio and El Paso to protect and aid travelers on the San Antonio-El Paso Road, known as the Chihuahua Trail. A local post office was built at the camp along an elevated but isolated section of the creek, seeing only a few travelers in the early years. The post office closed in 1866 and by 1871 the camp was reorganized with two companies of cavalry to be used as a summer camp to protect new settlers. Fort Hudson troops fought with Indians, sometimes driving them down into Mexico. By 1877 the threat of Indian attacks no longer existed in the capacity to keep the fort open. A centennial marker was placed on the site by the Texas Historical Commission in 1936. Fern Cave is located on the western portion of Monarch Ranch and is considered the largest cave, in terms of volume, in Texas. Fern Cave is estimated at around 300,000 cubic meters. There are at least 3,000 caves and sinkholes known in Texas and are important economic, scientific and recreational resources. Fern Cave, also known as Bat Cave, houses thousands of bats in the summer. The total length of the cave is between 500’ and 1,000’ and the total depth is around 75’. A survey of the cave was completed in 1963. Bakers Crossing is located on State Highway 163, crossing the river on a bridge slightly to the west of the original crossing and site of the earlier highway bridge. Bakers Crossing was named for a pioneer who settled on the site being the ‘Second Crossing of the Devils River’ by the San Antonio-El Paso Road. Bakers Crossing lies at an elevation of 1,516’. Sources: https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qbc16 https://www.legendsofamerica.com/camp-hudson-texas/ https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rqc03 https://www.texasspeleologicalsurvey.org/PDF/TSS_Volume1/TSS%201(7)%20compressed.pdf https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.php?s=Bakers%20Crossing,%20Texas
$26,089,700