Ticton Hall West
Ticton Hall, as it was first known in the early 1800s, was owned by Mr. John Heyward. He was also the owner of nearby Chelsea, Sandy Hill, Rose Hill, and Pickpocket Plantations. Mr. Heyward and his wife, Constantia Pritchard, married in 1829 and made Chelsea their home. Ticton Hall has remained in the chain of title of Chelsea Plantation ever since.
In the late 1880s, Mr. John Edwin Fripp purchased Ticton Hall in conjunction with Chelsea and managed the properties as a hunting club. By 1931 the ownership had expanded to encompass more than 20,000 acres and included parts of well-known properties Spring and Callawassee Islands. Many of the members were from northern families with immense fortunes. In 1936, the club came to an end and Chelsea, along with Ticton Hall, was purchased by Marshall Field III, heir to the famed department stores. In 1956, Mr. Field died, but his widow Ruth continued to manage and maintain the properties. Later, she sold an interest in Chelsea, roughly 6000 acres at the time and which included present-day Ticton Hall, to publisher Nelson Doubleday Jr. Mr. Marshall Field IV inherited his familys share of the property, as well as his familys love of the land, and he and Mr. Doubleday enjoyed excellent quail hunting and were actively involved in the management of Ticton Hall until it was sold in 2019.
Ticton Hall has changed very little in the time following Mr. Fields acquisition. As you enter the gate, the natural beauty is overwhelming. Mr. Aldo Leopold shared, the five tools most useful for wildlife management and conservation of wildlife include the axe, fire, plow, gun, and cow. Most, if not all, of these applications, have been selectively and skillfully implemented at Ticton Hall. Excellent stewardship of past owners and managers has preserved this property, an unusually fine example of the classic quail hunting grounds of the old south.
Currently, Ticton Hall West offers well-established quail courses, the courses offer an excellent mixture of cover including bunch grasses, sedges, warm-season native grasses as well as forbs and legume food sources. Should the new owner opt to increase the size and number of courses, significant acreage remains with soils compatible for upland game bird habitat.
The location of Ticton Hall West is one of its most notable assets. Though it is easily accessible from Bluffton, Hilton Head, or Beaufort, due to its natural surroundings it remains quiet, private, and secluded. Other noteworthy landholdings in the area include Good Hope, Bolan Hall, Okeetee Club, and Spring Hill.
Euhaw Creek borders Ticton Hall West and offers 5,000 +/- feet of river frontage. Much of this frontage consists of a bluff overlooking the river or marsh, some of which offers westerly views. A deep-water tributary of the Broad River, Euhaw Creek is accessible for most watercraft. Port Royal Sound is nearby as well, and it is a short boat ride to downtown Beaufort or Hilton Head. The bluff along the waterfront will allow for multiple home sites or a family compound complete with private docks. The high bluff with deep water adds a beautiful, rare, and extremely valuable feature and endless possibilities for enjoyment of Ticton Hall. In considering the unusual land and water features, well-drained soils, proximity to Bluffton, and the immense projected growth in the area, Ticton Hall may also offer the new owner significant potential tax benefits through the donation of a conservation easement. Easements can be designed to fit the requirements of the property owner, allowing for all current and historical usages, while also providing protection from development and fragmentation.
In addition to the potential easement value, there are several stands of well-stocked mature loblolly pine and hardwood forest. These timberlands have been managed with a sustainable approach that will provide the potential for current and future revenue streams.