Filter Results
6935 properties

Premier Listing

Swenson Family Flat Top Ranch - Jones
#TX245958
Jones, Texas
41,000.00 acres
This property has been recently reduced from $1200 per acre to $985. The Flat Top Division of the legendary Swenson Ranch was established in 1853 – 1854 and the ranch contains 41,000 ± acres. Elevations on the ranch range from approximately 1,600’ feet to around 1,750’. The terrain over the eastern portion of the Flat Top Ranch is described as nearly level to gently rolling and sloping towards several noticeable drainages, all draining to the northeast. A very prominent elevated mesa, known as Flat Top Mountain, is located on the west-half of the ranch. The elevation change from the country below the mesa top to the country on the upper edge of the mesa is approximately 100 feet. The east face of the mesa is steep and rocky, but much of the mesa top is level and gently sloping. Views from the mesa edge are very impressive. To the west of the large mesa top, the level country transitions to header draws, becoming deeper canyon drainages, all flowing to the northwest to the Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos River. Native grass cover is considered to be good to excellent over much of the property. Principal native grasses include several varieties of bluestem, side oats grama, Texas winter grass, Arizona cottontop, blue grama, buffalo grass, tobosa, vine-mesquite, western wheat grass and sand drop seed. With favorable winter moisture, wildrye and filaree are abundant over major portions of the ranch. Approximately 6,300 acres are in cultivation, scattered over about a dozen fields throughout the ranch. All of the cultivated land is farmed on a dryland basis, principally farmed in wheat for seasonal grazing of livestock. With large areas of the ranch having very productive soils, it is estimated that an additional 10,000 acres could be broken out and farmed, if desired. With normal precipitation, this area of Texas is considered desirable wheat pasture country. LOCATION The ranch is generally located immediately west of Stamford, Texas, but two small non-contiguous tracts are located north and east of Stamford. Access to all major portions of the ranch are by paved highways and county roads. The ranch has an extensive network of well-maintained private ranch roads, making the property very accessible overall. Abilene, Texas is approximately 40 miles south of the ranch, with Fort Worth being approximately 180 miles to the east and Lubbock being approximately 140 miles to the northwest. The ranch is located on the Texas Rolling Plains, which is an area widely recognized for ranching, farming, mineral production, and in more recent years, outstanding hunting. HISTORY The historic Swenson Ranches trace their origin to Svante Magnus Swenson, the first Swedish immigrant to arrive in Texas, landing near what is now Galveston in 1838. The famous SMS brand, with two backward S’s was one of the first registered in Texas and was derived from Swenson’s initials. Swenson, a close ally of Sam Houston, played an active role in the state’s early history. He served as Travis County Commissioner in the 1850’s and as the first Treasurer of the State Agriculture Society. Swenson opened one of the first stores in Austin, introduced the Colt revolver to the frontier, and established the Swedish Pipeline which brought thousands of Swedish families to settle in Texas after the Civil War. A cabin from Swenson’s farm east of Austin, called Govalle, is enshrined today at Zilker Botanical Gardens in Austin as part of the Swedish Pioneer Village. By 1850 Svante had established himself in the general merchandise business in Austin. His large frontier trading post traded saddles, boots, blankets and many other supplies. Through his trading, Swenson began acquiring substantial amounts of land. Swenson also invested in railroad bonds and school bonds which entitled him to even more acreage. By 1860 Swenson had accumulated over 680,000 acres in Texas, much of it the unsettled territories on North Texas, north of Abilene. It was from these lands that the Flat Top Ranch was organized and is still owned by S.M. Swenson’s direct descendants. Because he was an ally of Houston’s and a vocal opponent of secession from the Union, Swenson was nearly assassinated at the beginning of the Civil War. With continuing threats on his life, he fled to Mexico in 1863 hidden under straw in a covered wagon. After the Civil War he settled in New York City where his wife and children joined him. He sold off his holdings around Austin, but maintained ownership of the land in the northern parts of Texas. In 1882 these lands were fenced and organized by Swenson’s sons, Eric and Swen Albin, and the vast ranching operations began. Initially the sons leased the ranches from their father and when Svante died in 1896, they inherited the properties. At this time there were three ranches: Ericsdahl, Eleonora and Mount Albin. The Ericsdahl Ranch which was located 7 miles east of Stamford was split up and sold to Swedish immigrants in the early 1900’s. Eleonora became known as the Throckmorton Ranch because it was in that county. The Mount Albin Ranch became known as the Flat Top Ranch because of a prominent mesa on the property. This is the ranch that Chas. S. Middleton and Son, LLC, has for sale today. The Swenson brothers hired one of S.M. Swenson’s nephews as the first manager of the overall operations. He was responsible for stocking the ranches and overseeing the construction of the headquarters, barns, and corrals, as well as the drilling of water wells. The first herds were comprised of 1,800 high-grade Durham Shorthorns and 180 Hereford-Shorthorn crosses along with registered Hereford bulls. The original remuda was driven up the Chisolm Trail from Round Rock, Texas where many Swedes had settled. The horses were a mix of Spanish and Arabian stock. The first ranch hands were mostly Swedish immigrants who had settled first in towns around Austin, like Round Rock, New Sweden and Elgin and many others came directly from Sweden. The ranches continued to grow as the family purchased the Scab 8 Ranch in 1900, adding another 79,000 acres of land to their holdings and renamed it the Tongue River Ranch. In 1906 they purchased the Espuela Ranch with other partners which gave them access to over 200,000 acres more. This ranch became the Spur Ranch and while much of it was sold off in the 1920’s, the family still owned 65,000 acres of it until the 1970’s. In order to make it easier to get their cattle to market, the Swenson brothers convinced the Texas Central Railroad to extend its rail line from Albany, Texas, 38 miles to the east, to the place that is now Stamford, Texas. The family donated the initial 640 acres from the Flat Top Ranch for the town and helped lay it out. The present headquarters for the Swenson Land & Cattle Co, was built in the town, on Swenson Street, in the 1920’s. Some of the property that is part of the Flat Top Ranch remains inside or adjacent to the town limits, including a recent purchase of about 132 acres that contains substantial cattle pens for feeding, weaning, etc. The Texas Cowboy Reunion Rodeo grounds, still the largest working cowboy rodeo in the US, was founded in Stamford by the Swenson heirs in 1930 on land that they also donated from their Flat Top holdings. In 1902 the Swenson brothers hired Frank S. Hastings as manager of their far-flung ranches and over the next two decades committed to the breeding and improvement of the SMS cattle. Under Hastings’ supervision, SMS became among the first ranches to participate in the “mail order” calf business. The cattle won many awards and developed a reputation for quality that remains today. Eric Swenson, Svante’s oldest son, remained as president of the ranches until his death in 1945. He was succeeded by one of his sons, Swen R. Swenson. In 1978 the holdings totaling over 250,000 acres were divided among four family groups. Three of the groups have since sold their ranches. The remaining group, whose land includes the Flat Top Ranch, was headed by Bruce B Swenson, one of Swen R. Swenson’s sons, and included Bruce’s brothers, Rod and Perry Swenson. The three brothers have passed away and the company that owns the Flat Top Ranch is now the Swenson Land & Cattle Co. and is chaired by Steve Swenson, one of Bruce’s sons. All the board of directors and shareholders are descendants of Svante Magnus Swenson. In recent years Swenson Land & Cattle has continued as a strong cow/calf operator and almost always gets the highest price for its class of cattle at Superior Livestock Auctions and other venues. Cattle buyers for Whole Foods have purchased the ranch’s cattle over the last 5-6 years. As a result, the Global Animal Partnership (GAP), Whole Food’s third party certification partner, has made on-site inspections of the ranch’s operations twice in the last 5 years. The ranch received a GAP 4 rating indicating it uses best practices for humane treatment of its cattle for an operation of this size. The ranch hands, now headed by Mark Voss, have won several ranch rodeo competitions over the past several years in places like Wichita Falls and Abilene. Wildlife is abundant at Flat Top and hunting leases have contributed substantial revenue in the past 10 years or so. The company sells a small amount of cattle to Svante’s Ranch Direct, a company owned by several S.M. Swenson descendants. They sell grass finished beef through farmers markets, a web site and food truck in the Austin area. As the years have gone by and the family tree continues to grow, shareholders have become more and more dispersed throughout the US and their interests have become more diverse. With many shareholders now in their mid-to late 60’s, the board reluctantly voted to sell Flat Top in order to provide some liquidity to those who wanted some. Selling Flat Top was not an easy decision for the family especially knowing that this heritage that traces directly to S.M. Swenson would pass from his great great-grandchildren and future descendants. However, the family has concluded that this the right time in their lives to do this. Sources: Clark, Mary Whatley - The Swenson Saga and the SMS Ranches (Austin, Texas: Jenkins Book Publishing Co. 1976); Baize, Wayne – Swenson Land & Cattle Company (2014); Anderson, H. Allen - SMS Ranches (Texas State Historical Association) WATER FEATURES The Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos River flows in a northeasterly direction through the ranch for approximately seven miles. Large tree cover is common along the river bottom with cedar found along the ridgelines and canyon side slopes. This area of the ranch is considered very scenic and offers great recreational appeal. Additionally, there are a number of smaller seasonal creeks throughout the property. The ranch is well watered by over 40 water wells, being a combination of windmills and electric submersible wells. These water sources distribute water to an extensive network of approximately 25 miles of waterlines and over 100 drinking troughs. Other water sources include approximately 140 earthen ponds, some of which are seasonal, with others being very large and considered to be a desirable year-round source of livestock water. Overall, the ranch is considered to be well watered. LIVESTOCK/CATTLE OPERATIONS Historically, the Flat Top Division of the Swenson Ranch has been operated as a cow/calf operation. Depending on weather conditions, the ranch is typically stocked with 850 – 1,000 mother cows, plus bulls and replacements. The ranch maintains a quality cow herd and while the cattle are not included in the sale, they are available to be purchased at market price. Current livestock inventory is approximately 855 bred cows, 90 bred heifers and 70 bulls. HUNTING, WILDLIFE AND RECREATION The Flat Top Division offers great hunting opportunities, including white tail deer, quail, dove, feral hogs and seasonal water fowl. Fishing is available in the river and several of the larger ponds. IMPROVEMENTS The ranch owns a small grow yard located just west of Stamford. The pens are of pipe construction with complete working facilities, scales and some covered pens. This tract has some adjoining pasture and farmland, which compliments the grow yard. The property is adequately improved for the day to day ranching operation. In addition to the grow yard, other structural improvements include the main headquarters, the Taylor Camp, the Farm Center, and approximately 17 sets of livestock shipping/working/branding pens. The headquarter improvements consist of the ranch manager’s home, several employee houses, barns, horse stalls and a large set of livestock shipping pens, which are equipped with scales. The Taylor Camp is improved with a camp manager’s home, bunk house and shipping pens equipped with scales. The Farm Center improvements include a metal barn/shop with a fenced area for housing farm equipment and fuel. The Flat Top Division of the Swenson Ranch is fenced and cross fenced into many multiple pastures, and most all of the fences are considered to be in average to above average condition. Totally, there are approximately 166 miles of fencing on the ranch. RESOURCES There is scattered oil production on the ranch. The original oil production was first discovered in the early 1950’s and some of this original production is still producing. In 1978, as briefly mentioned in the History of the Swenson Ranches, the four Swenson Families agreed to partition all of the ranches into four separate family divisions. After the ranches were partitioned, the three other families began selling off their divisions. At the time of this partition, each division of the Swenson Ranches had all or most all of the minerals intact. Each of the four families received one-quarter of the minerals under each of the four divisions. That being the case, the Swenson Family members owning the Flat Top Division have approximately 25% of the minerals under this ranch. Current royalty income is fairly substantial. New drilling is now underway, and recent development would suggest the possibility of a substantial new income source from oil. Since it is very difficult to determine the present value and future potential of the minerals, the family has elected to negotiate on the mineral conveyance based on the final offering price for the property. Based on the family owning approximately 25% of the minerals under the Flat Top Division, current royalty income is approximately $200,000 per year on the original production and approximately $600,000 per year on the newly discovered production. In addition to the income derived from the cattle operation and farming income, other sources of income include hunting lease revenue, periodic surface damage income and income derived from oil and gas leases and oil and gas royalty production. The hunting is leased on a year to year basis and can be extended if a buyer is not interested in hunting, or terminated, if the buyer wants possession of the hunting. The ranch just negotiated a gas pipeline easement crossing approximately 7 miles of the ranch. This pipeline has just been installed and the utility company has re-seeded this easement with grass. The ranch collected $1,300,000 for this easement. While there are no major electric transmission lines currently located on the ranch, many large wind farm developments and transmission lines are located throughout this region of Texas. With this in mind, the owners of the Flat Top Division propose to reserve 25% of any future wind energy royalty income, but the purchaser of the ranch will have full control of negotiating any future wind energy leases. PRICE AND REMARKS The Flat Top Division of the Swenson Ranch is very reasonably priced at $985 per acre. It is very seldom that a ranch of this magnitude and history becomes available in this area of Texas. The owners of the ranch are currently in the process of surveying the entire property in order to establish the exact acres of the ranch. This survey is being paid for by the owners. Property taxes are approximately $63,000 per year or about $1.50 per acre. BROKER COMMENTS The ranch is generally operated with approximately eight full-time employees. In addition to the very knowledgeable ranch manager, there is clerical help at the office in Stamford along with additional farm/ranch employees, including the Taylor Camp manager. All together this efficient staff keeps the books, pays bills, manages the day to day farming and ranching operation, maintains the property and meets with the family on a regular basis. As the broker selected to market this property, it is apparent the current employees are a valuable asset to the ranch and a buyer of this property should strongly consider keeping everyone on board. All employees are anxious to remain with the ranch. This long-term ownership ranch has not been offered for sale throughout the 165-year history of the property. This first time offering of the Swenson Flat Top Ranch is an historic opportunity to own a quality working cattle ranch, which includes an extensive farming operation that can be expanded, if desired. In addition to farming and ranching, the property offers excellent hunting opportunities, potential future wind farm development, periodic surface damage income, and the potential to share in some portion of the mineral income.
$40,385,000

Premier Listing

Swenson Family Flat Top Ranch - Haskell
#TX245959
Haskell, Texas
41,000.00 acres
This property has been recently reduced from $1200 per acre to $985. The Flat Top Division of the legendary Swenson Ranch was established in 1853 – 1854 and the ranch contains 41,000 ± acres. Elevations on the ranch range from approximately 1,600’ feet to around 1,750’. The terrain over the eastern portion of the Flat Top Ranch is described as nearly level to gently rolling and sloping towards several noticeable drainages, all draining to the northeast. A very prominent elevated mesa, known as Flat Top Mountain, is located on the west-half of the ranch. The elevation change from the country below the mesa top to the country on the upper edge of the mesa is approximately 100 feet. The east face of the mesa is steep and rocky, but much of the mesa top is level and gently sloping. Views from the mesa edge are very impressive. To the west of the large mesa top, the level country transitions to header draws, becoming deeper canyon drainages, all flowing to the northwest to the Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos River. Native grass cover is considered to be good to excellent over much of the property. Principal native grasses include several varieties of bluestem, side oats grama, Texas winter grass, Arizona cottontop, blue grama, buffalo grass, tobosa, vine-mesquite, western wheat grass and sand drop seed. With favorable winter moisture, wildrye and filaree are abundant over major portions of the ranch. Approximately 6,300 acres are in cultivation, scattered over about a dozen fields throughout the ranch. All of the cultivated land is farmed on a dryland basis, principally farmed in wheat for seasonal grazing of livestock. With large areas of the ranch having very productive soils, it is estimated that an additional 10,000 acres could be broken out and farmed, if desired. With normal precipitation, this area of Texas is considered desirable wheat pasture country. LOCATION The ranch is generally located immediately west of Stamford, Texas, but two small non-contiguous tracts are located north and east of Stamford. Access to all major portions of the ranch are by paved highways and county roads. The ranch has an extensive network of well-maintained private ranch roads, making the property very accessible overall. Abilene, Texas is approximately 40 miles south of the ranch, with Fort Worth being approximately 180 miles to the east and Lubbock being approximately 140 miles to the northwest. The ranch is located on the Texas Rolling Plains, which is an area widely recognized for ranching, farming, mineral production, and in more recent years, outstanding hunting. HISTORY The historic Swenson Ranches trace their origin to Svante Magnus Swenson, the first Swedish immigrant to arrive in Texas, landing near what is now Galveston in 1838. The famous SMS brand, with two backward S’s was one of the first registered in Texas and was derived from Swenson’s initials. Swenson, a close ally of Sam Houston, played an active role in the state’s early history. He served as Travis County Commissioner in the 1850’s and as the first Treasurer of the State Agriculture Society. Swenson opened one of the first stores in Austin, introduced the Colt revolver to the frontier, and established the Swedish Pipeline which brought thousands of Swedish families to settle in Texas after the Civil War. A cabin from Swenson’s farm east of Austin, called Govalle, is enshrined today at Zilker Botanical Gardens in Austin as part of the Swedish Pioneer Village. By 1850 Svante had established himself in the general merchandise business in Austin. His large frontier trading post traded saddles, boots, blankets and many other supplies. Through his trading, Swenson began acquiring substantial amounts of land. Swenson also invested in railroad bonds and school bonds which entitled him to even more acreage. By 1860 Swenson had accumulated over 680,000 acres in Texas, much of it the unsettled territories on North Texas, north of Abilene. It was from these lands that the Flat Top Ranch was organized and is still owned by S.M. Swenson’s direct descendants. Because he was an ally of Houston’s and a vocal opponent of secession from the Union, Swenson was nearly assassinated at the beginning of the Civil War. With continuing threats on his life, he fled to Mexico in 1863 hidden under straw in a covered wagon. After the Civil War he settled in New York City where his wife and children joined him. He sold off his holdings around Austin, but maintained ownership of the land in the northern parts of Texas. In 1882 these lands were fenced and organized by Swenson’s sons, Eric and Swen Albin, and the vast ranching operations began. Initially the sons leased the ranches from their father and when Svante died in 1896, they inherited the properties. At this time there were three ranches: Ericsdahl, Eleonora and Mount Albin. The Ericsdahl Ranch which was located 7 miles east of Stamford was split up and sold to Swedish immigrants in the early 1900’s. Eleonora became known as the Throckmorton Ranch because it was in that county. The Mount Albin Ranch became known as the Flat Top Ranch because of a prominent mesa on the property. This is the ranch that Chas. S. Middleton and Son, LLC, has for sale today. The Swenson brothers hired one of S.M. Swenson’s nephews as the first manager of the overall operations. He was responsible for stocking the ranches and overseeing the construction of the headquarters, barns, and corrals, as well as the drilling of water wells. The first herds were comprised of 1,800 high-grade Durham Shorthorns and 180 Hereford-Shorthorn crosses along with registered Hereford bulls. The original remuda was driven up the Chisolm Trail from Round Rock, Texas where many Swedes had settled. The horses were a mix of Spanish and Arabian stock. The first ranch hands were mostly Swedish immigrants who had settled first in towns around Austin, like Round Rock, New Sweden and Elgin and many others came directly from Sweden. The ranches continued to grow as the family purchased the Scab 8 Ranch in 1900, adding another 79,000 acres of land to their holdings and renamed it the Tongue River Ranch. In 1906 they purchased the Espuela Ranch with other partners which gave them access to over 200,000 acres more. This ranch became the Spur Ranch and while much of it was sold off in the 1920’s, the family still owned 65,000 acres of it until the 1970’s. In order to make it easier to get their cattle to market, the Swenson brothers convinced the Texas Central Railroad to extend its rail line from Albany, Texas, 38 miles to the east, to the place that is now Stamford, Texas. The family donated the initial 640 acres from the Flat Top Ranch for the town and helped lay it out. The present headquarters for the Swenson Land & Cattle Co, was built in the town, on Swenson Street, in the 1920’s. Some of the property that is part of the Flat Top Ranch remains inside or adjacent to the town limits, including a recent purchase of about 132 acres that contains substantial cattle pens for feeding, weaning, etc. The Texas Cowboy Reunion Rodeo grounds, still the largest working cowboy rodeo in the US, was founded in Stamford by the Swenson heirs in 1930 on land that they also donated from their Flat Top holdings. In 1902 the Swenson brothers hired Frank S. Hastings as manager of their far-flung ranches and over the next two decades committed to the breeding and improvement of the SMS cattle. Under Hastings’ supervision, SMS became among the first ranches to participate in the “mail order” calf business. The cattle won many awards and developed a reputation for quality that remains today. Eric Swenson, Svante’s oldest son, remained as president of the ranches until his death in 1945. He was succeeded by one of his sons, Swen R. Swenson. In 1978 the holdings totaling over 250,000 acres were divided among four family groups. Three of the groups have since sold their ranches. The remaining group, whose land includes the Flat Top Ranch, was headed by Bruce B Swenson, one of Swen R. Swenson’s sons, and included Bruce’s brothers, Rod and Perry Swenson. The three brothers have passed away and the company that owns the Flat Top Ranch is now the Swenson Land & Cattle Co. and is chaired by Steve Swenson, one of Bruce’s sons. All the board of directors and shareholders are descendants of Svante Magnus Swenson. In recent years Swenson Land & Cattle has continued as a strong cow/calf operator and almost always gets the highest price for its class of cattle at Superior Livestock Auctions and other venues. Cattle buyers for Whole Foods have purchased the ranch’s cattle over the last 5-6 years. As a result, the Global Animal Partnership (GAP), Whole Food’s third party certification partner, has made on-site inspections of the ranch’s operations twice in the last 5 years. The ranch received a GAP 4 rating indicating it uses best practices for humane treatment of its cattle for an operation of this size. The ranch hands, now headed by Mark Voss, have won several ranch rodeo competitions over the past several years in places like Wichita Falls and Abilene. Wildlife is abundant at Flat Top and hunting leases have contributed substantial revenue in the past 10 years or so. The company sells a small amount of cattle to Svante’s Ranch Direct, a company owned by several S.M. Swenson descendants. They sell grass finished beef through farmers markets, a web site and food truck in the Austin area. As the years have gone by and the family tree continues to grow, shareholders have become more and more dispersed throughout the US and their interests have become more diverse. With many shareholders now in their mid-to late 60’s, the board reluctantly voted to sell Flat Top in order to provide some liquidity to those who wanted some. Selling Flat Top was not an easy decision for the family especially knowing that this heritage that traces directly to S.M. Swenson would pass from his great great-grandchildren and future descendants. However, the family has concluded that this the right time in their lives to do this. Sources: Clark, Mary Whatley - The Swenson Saga and the SMS Ranches (Austin, Texas: Jenkins Book Publishing Co. 1976); Baize, Wayne – Swenson Land & Cattle Company (2014); Anderson, H. Allen - SMS Ranches (Texas State Historical Association) WATER FEATURES The Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos River flows in a northeasterly direction through the ranch for approximately seven miles. Large tree cover is common along the river bottom with cedar found along the ridgelines and canyon side slopes. This area of the ranch is considered very scenic and offers great recreational appeal. Additionally, there are a number of smaller seasonal creeks throughout the property. The ranch is well watered by over 40 water wells, being a combination of windmills and electric submersible wells. These water sources distribute water to an extensive network of approximately 25 miles of waterlines and over 100 drinking troughs. Other water sources include approximately 140 earthen ponds, some of which are seasonal, with others being very large and considered to be a desirable year-round source of livestock water. Overall, the ranch is considered to be well watered. LIVESTOCK/CATTLE OPERATIONS Historically, the Flat Top Division of the Swenson Ranch has been operated as a cow/calf operation. Depending on weather conditions, the ranch is typically stocked with 850 – 1,000 mother cows, plus bulls and replacements. The ranch maintains a quality cow herd and while the cattle are not included in the sale, they are available to be purchased at market price. Current livestock inventory is approximately 855 bred cows, 90 bred heifers and 70 bulls. HUNTING, WILDLIFE AND RECREATION The Flat Top Division offers great hunting opportunities, including white tail deer, quail, dove, feral hogs and seasonal water fowl. Fishing is available in the river and several of the larger ponds. IMPROVEMENTS The ranch owns a small grow yard located just west of Stamford. The pens are of pipe construction with complete working facilities, scales and some covered pens. This tract has some adjoining pasture and farmland, which compliments the grow yard. The property is adequately improved for the day to day ranching operation. In addition to the grow yard, other structural improvements include the main headquarters, the Taylor Camp, the Farm Center, and approximately 17 sets of livestock shipping/working/branding pens. The headquarter improvements consist of the ranch manager’s home, several employee houses, barns, horse stalls and a large set of livestock shipping pens, which are equipped with scales. The Taylor Camp is improved with a camp manager’s home, bunk house and shipping pens equipped with scales. The Farm Center improvements include a metal barn/shop with a fenced area for housing farm equipment and fuel. The Flat Top Division of the Swenson Ranch is fenced and cross fenced into many multiple pastures, and most all of the fences are considered to be in average to above average condition. Totally, there are approximately 166 miles of fencing on the ranch. RESOURCES There is scattered oil production on the ranch. The original oil production was first discovered in the early 1950’s and some of this original production is still producing. In 1978, as briefly mentioned in the History of the Swenson Ranches, the four Swenson Families agreed to partition all of the ranches into four separate family divisions. After the ranches were partitioned, the three other families began selling off their divisions. At the time of this partition, each division of the Swenson Ranches had all or most all of the minerals intact. Each of the four families received one-quarter of the minerals under each of the four divisions. That being the case, the Swenson Family members owning the Flat Top Division have approximately 25% of the minerals under this ranch. Current royalty income is fairly substantial. New drilling is now underway, and recent development would suggest the possibility of a substantial new income source from oil. Since it is very difficult to determine the present value and future potential of the minerals, the family has elected to negotiate on the mineral conveyance based on the final offering price for the property. Based on the family owning approximately 25% of the minerals under the Flat Top Division, current royalty income is approximately $200,000 per year on the original production and approximately $600,000 per year on the newly discovered production. In addition to the income derived from the cattle operation and farming income, other sources of income include hunting lease revenue, periodic surface damage income and income derived from oil and gas leases and oil and gas royalty production. The hunting is leased on a year to year basis and can be extended if a buyer is not interested in hunting, or terminated, if the buyer wants possession of the hunting. The ranch just negotiated a gas pipeline easement crossing approximately 7 miles of the ranch. This pipeline has just been installed and the utility company has re-seeded this easement with grass. The ranch collected $1,300,000 for this easement. While there are no major electric transmission lines currently located on the ranch, many large wind farm developments and transmission lines are located throughout this region of Texas. With this in mind, the owners of the Flat Top Division propose to reserve 25% of any future wind energy royalty income, but the purchaser of the ranch will have full control of negotiating any future wind energy leases. PRICE AND REMARKS The Flat Top Division of the Swenson Ranch is very reasonably priced at $985 per acre. It is very seldom that a ranch of this magnitude and history becomes available in this area of Texas. The owners of the ranch are currently in the process of surveying the entire property in order to establish the exact acres of the ranch. This survey is being paid for by the owners. Property taxes are approximately $63,000 per year or about $1.50 per acre. BROKER COMMENTS The ranch is generally operated with approximately eight full-time employees. In addition to the very knowledgeable ranch manager, there is clerical help at the office in Stamford along with additional farm/ranch employees, including the Taylor Camp manager. All together this efficient staff keeps the books, pays bills, manages the day to day farming and ranching operation, maintains the property and meets with the family on a regular basis. As the broker selected to market this property, it is apparent the current employees are a valuable asset to the ranch and a buyer of this property should strongly consider keeping everyone on board. All employees are anxious to remain with the ranch. This long-term ownership ranch has not been offered for sale throughout the 165-year history of the property. This first time offering of the Swenson Flat Top Ranch is an historic opportunity to own a quality working cattle ranch, which includes an extensive farming operation that can be expanded, if desired. In addition to farming and ranching, the property offers excellent hunting opportunities, potential future wind farm development, periodic surface damage income, and the potential to share in some portion of the mineral income.
$40,385,000

Premier Listing

5487 Acres | Montgomery County Transition
#TX257010
Montgomery, Texas
5,487.00 acres
Montgomery County Transition 1st time open market offering. Large tract in the heart of Houston metro expansion/development and Montgomery County, TX. Half way between Interstate 45 and Interstate 69 (US 59). North of FM 242, NE of The Woodlands, TX, SE of Conroe, TX. Transition forestry property with big frontage and multiple points of access. Managed timberland in excellent condition with ongoing management practices. Located in the Conroe ISD and Splendora ISD within a few minutes of schools. Residual out tracts scattered throughout, see Out Tracts Summary document below. Access can be obtained along Timber Switch Road Investors/developers, this property falls within an Opportunity Zone!
$43,868,565

Premier Listing

521 +/- Lake Shore Brazos River Development
#TX243348
McLennan, Texas
521.00 acres
Large mixed-use property with 1.3 miles of Brazos River Frontage and Excellent road frontage on both Lake Shore Drive and MLK. Prime for Development. Good Schools, High Profile Location less than 2 miles off I-35, close to downtown, Cameron Park, Waco Regional Airport, Baylor and McLane Stadium. Easy Access, Utilities both on-site and near, City of Waco is favorable towards re-zoning and mixed-used development. Potential for a Marina. Great resort of corporate retreat site. HIGHLIGHTS High Profile location because of road traffic on Lake Shore Dr. and close to I-35 Excellent for mixed-use development 1.3 miles of Brazos Riverfront Utilities are available or currently on the property. 2 miles of road frontage on Lake Shore Drive and MLK
$42,000,000

Premier Listing

Pecan Plantation
#TX381016
Hood, Texas
1,500.00 acres
Pecan Plantation | 1,500 acres | Granbury, Texas KEY INFO Sitting in the center of north central Texas is a unique land mass resembling a peninsula, almost completely surrounded by the Brazos River. The river was first called Brazos de Dios by Spanish explorers, meaning Arms of God. 1,500 acres of operating pecan orchard within the unincorporated community of Pecan Plantation, Hood County, Texas. Property owned, developed, & operated by one family for 70 years. Highest & best use is the continuing development of the pecan orchard as residential home sites. Pecan Plantation is a secure gated community of over 6,000 residents, with over 3,000 homes, & listed by CNBC as the 6th best suburb for retirement in the U.S. Residents are part of a community consisting of these key advantages: - Surrounded by 17 miles of the scenic Brazos River. - Governed by a homeowners association. - Very reasonable dues & fees, as well as reasonable taxes. - A full-service country club. - Two 18-hole golf courses. - Two private airports. - A marina on Lake Granbury. - Gated 24-hour security. - Community center, Equestrian center, walking & riding trails, parks & picnic areas. - Commercial center featuring a bank, grocery store, medical center, pharmacy, plus other businesses & services. - Seven miles from historic Granbury, one hour to downtown Fort Worth, 1.5 hours to DFW International Airport. THE OFFERING Offering consists of the opportunity to: - Develop up to 1,165 additional residential lots within Pecan Plantation, located in a high growth area of Texas. Substantial portion of infrastructure in place, such as, main water distribution & sewer collection lines, as well as major access & interior roads. Concept plan pre-approved by Hood County. Electricity, telephone & internet readily available. - Continue the operation of a historic major pecan orchard, with: Management & staff in place. Completely irrigated with modern drip system, with adequate water contracts with Brazos River Authority. Fully equipped with machinery & equipment for operations. Barns, sheds & cleaning plant to support the pecan operations. OPPORTUNITY Key advantages to prospective owner: - Located in a proven & vibrant community. - Extensive infrastructure would save years & substantial capital expenditure in start-up preparations for a developer/homebuilder. - Relatively easy permitting & approval processes. - Opportunities to acquire related businesses that would assist in offsetting holding costs over time. - Marketing advantages of developing a property with the beauty of mature pecan trees pre-landscaping most of the property. - The undeveloped land (pecan orchard), is income producing, therefore offsetting much of the interim holding costs.
$27,000,000

Premier Listing

Monarch Ranch
#TX301315
Val Verde, Texas
40,138.00 acres
NEW LOWER PRICE! A rare jewel in the desert, the Monarch Ranch is located on over 5 miles of the pristine Devils River 30 miles upstream from Lake Amistad. Stunning views of the Devils River Basin and deep canyons greet visitors to the ranch as you climb over 300’ from the river. Fantastic hunting and fishing, miles of paved roads and a 6,000’ lighted and paved airport runway make the ranch extremely accessible in this dramatic country. The purported largest volume cave in Texas and remains of Fort Hudson are just a few of the amazing sites to visit on the ranch. Location: The ranch is located on Highway 163 near Baker’s Crossing, 25 miles north of Lake Amistad and also has frontage on FM 1024 from Comstock. Habitat: The Monarch Ranch is found where multiple eco-systems meet, including elements of the Chihuahuan Desert, Edwards Plateau and Tamaulipan Thornscrub along with deep river basin soils containing towering pecan trees and majestic live oaks along the riverbank. The property contains important portions of the Devils River watershed including its recharge zone, tributaries, springs, riparian gallery woodlands, caves and karst aquifer systems. Along the lower lands of the river and canyons, live oaks, pecans and sycamores dominate the landscape. Much of the area along the river is a true riparian eco-system with reeds, tall bunch grasses and cane breaks dominating the zone. As you move away from the river, the ranches steep topography is dominated by ashe juniper, some oaks, and cacti. This is a very rugged country with breathtaking views and caves for exploring. The upper highlands have extensive native grasses, diverse brush species and some ashe juniper dominating the landscape. Wildlife: The multitude of differing environments on this ranch creates country that has an amazing biodiversity. White-tailed deer are found throughout the ranch, and the occasional mule deer can be found in the highlands. Turkey are plentiful in the bottoms along with a strong population of bob-white quail. Aoudad Sheep are found along the steep cliffs and canyons coming up from the river bottom. Blue quail are common in the highlands, along with strong populations of mourning dove. Bobcats, coyotes, badgers, and mountain lions are also very common in the area. The Devils River brings in a host of wildlife that might not be commonly found this far west, including plenty of ducks, amazing migrations of monarch butterflies and raptors such as Bald Eagles and Ospreys that hunt the fish in the river. The Monarch Ranch is managed under an MLD III plan (currently referred to as a MLD Conservation Plan), allowing for extended seasons for deer hunting and professional management of the wildlife. The fishing in the Devils River on the Monarch is truly lights out. Perhaps the best small mouth bass fishery in the State of Texas exists in the cool clear waters of the river here with many fish exceeding six pounds. Largemouth bass are also abundant along with bream and catfish. Water: The Devils River is considered the purest water in the State of Texas and is used by the State as the index for clean water. The river’s headwater springs are on the neighboring ranch up river from the Monarch. The ranch has over 5 miles of frontage on the river, including over a mile and a half of both sides of the river. There are multiple springs on the ranch, including a large spring (Phillips Spring) that feeds pristine water into the river. Further, many seeps can be found in the canyons, particularly during wet periods. Groundwater is available in this region that is of excellent quality. There are 25 water wells on the property (electric pump, solar and windmills) as well as miles of water pipelines distributing the water throughout the property. Improvements: Housing on the Monarch is modest and not too extensive. On the west side of the river there is a mobile home used for the ranch foreman and a “pilots cabin” near the airport that is relatively new and very comfortable. On the east side there are several modular homes and the main lodge that sits along the river bottom. The airport on the west side of the ranch has a newly paved 6,000’ runway with stripes and lights and includes a large hangar and fuel tanks. There are over 13 miles of paved roads on the ranch that are in excellent condition and make getting around the extensive ranch very easy. The ranch also has the only private bridge over the Devils River in existence. Electricity: There are multiple access points to electricity throughout much of the ranch. Minerals: Approximately 13,000 net mineral acres are owned by Seller on the Monarch, and there are significant State Classified Minerals on the ranch as well. Conservation Easement: The owner of the Monarch Ranch donated a conservation easement on this fabulous property to help conserve this unique part of Texas. The ecological values along the Devils River warrant stewarding and protection for future owners and heirs to enjoy the quiet solitude it offers. Thousands of acres along the Devils River have Conservation Easements which ensure that much of the area will remain in its natural state and be an oasis of nature. This working example of cooperative conservation has brought private land-owners, Texas Parks & Wildlife Department and The Nature Conservancy together with a common goal to keep the wild Devils River wild and running clear for the future. As owner of the property you would be part of one of the largest “conservation neighborhoods” in Texas. Highlights of the easement include: The Monarch East Ranch and Monarch West Ranch may each be subdivided into two separate ranches. There are currently six existing home sites on the Monarch East Ranch which can be maintained and remodeled by the owner. On the Monarch West Ranch there are currently two existing homes which can also be maintained and remodeled. A total of six new “Residence Compounds” may be built on the Monarch Ranch. Each of these compounds may be up to ten acres and multiple buildings may be built in each new compound. These compounds may not be built within any of the No Development Zones with the exception that two new compounds may be built near the river on the Monarch West (there is currently an existing building compound on the Monarch East river frontage). New roads may be built to access the new Residence Compounds and all existing roads may be maintained and improved. Livestock grazing, crops, orchards and vineyards may be grown on the property outside of the No Development Zones. No restrictions on hunting and fishing, blind placements, etc. Established caliche pits are recognized on the ranch and may be used to maintain existing roads and build new roads to residence compounds. History: The Monarch Ranch is located in a historically rich section of Val Verde County. Following Texas independence from Mexico in 1836, John Coffee Hays is the first American recorded to visit Val Verde County in an effort to establish a road from San Antonio to El Paso in 1848. During his time tracking the road, he renames the San Pedro River the Devils River, to fit with the difficult terrain. Fort Hudson also known as Camp Hudson was located on the San Pedro Creek, a tributary of the Devils River. Established in June of 1857, the gravel and lime constructed fort has a state marker on the highway and gravestones of fallen soldiers on the property. Fort Hudson was one of several camps built between San Antonio and El Paso to protect and aid travelers on the San Antonio-El Paso Road, known as the Chihuahua Trail. A local post office was built at the camp along an elevated but isolated section of the creek, seeing only a few travelers in the early years. The post office closed in 1866 and by 1871 the camp was reorganized with two companies of cavalry to be used as a summer camp to protect new settlers. Fort Hudson troops fought with Indians, sometimes driving them down into Mexico. By 1877 the threat of Indian attacks no longer existed in the capacity to keep the fort open. A centennial marker was placed on the site by the Texas Historical Commission in 1936. Fern Cave is located on the western portion of Monarch Ranch and is considered the largest cave, in terms of volume, in Texas. Fern Cave is estimated at around 300,000 cubic meters. There are at least 3,000 caves and sinkholes known in Texas and are important economic, scientific and recreational resources. Fern Cave, also known as Bat Cave, houses thousands of bats in the summer. The total length of the cave is between 500’ and 1,000’ and the total depth is around 75’. A survey of the cave was completed in 1963. Bakers Crossing is located on State Highway 163, crossing the river on a bridge slightly to the west of the original crossing and site of the earlier highway bridge. Bakers Crossing was named for a pioneer who settled on the site being the ‘Second Crossing of the Devils River’ by the San Antonio-El Paso Road. Bakers Crossing lies at an elevation of 1,516’. Sources: https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qbc16 https://www.legendsofamerica.com/camp-hudson-texas/ https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rqc03 https://www.texasspeleologicalsurvey.org/PDF/TSS_Volume1/TSS%201(7)%20compressed.pdf https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.php?s=Bakers%20Crossing,%20Texas
$26,089,700

Premier Listing

Buckles Farm
#TX472396
Sherman, Texas
15,940.00 acres
For more than four generations, the Buckles Farm has been continuously operated in southwestern Sherman County, Texas.Currently spanning 15,940 acres, this prestigious property includes 1,950 acres of irrigated farmland, over 5,400 acres of dryland farming, 5,547 acres of CRP, grazing land, and more in the heart of the northern Texas Panhandle. Stretching more than twelve miles of U.S. Highway 287, this property sits just moments south of Stratford, Texas and in close proximity to some of the regions largest cattle feeding, dairy, and grain operations. Buckles Farm is presented in the following materials, including the beautiful custom-built headquarters home, homestead and original barn, farm equipment storage, three additional farm houses, office space, and more.In a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, this highly productive and meticulously cared for property is being offered for sale. Contact us today to discuss this property or schedule a time to take a look. Location: Stretching more than twelve miles of U.S. Highway 287, this property sits just moments south of Stratford, Texas and in close proximity to some of the regions largest cattle feeding, dairy, and grain operations. Water: In current use are 33 irrigation wells, 4 domestic wells and 12 livestock wells. Detailed information including all available well documentation, photos, and estimated pumping information is available in the interactive map or in the Parcel by Parcel details. History: The property has been owned and farmed by the same family for over four generations. Improvements: The farm has been greatly improved included a beautiful, custom headquarters house with over 5,000 square feet. There are also one duplex and three other farm houses that have housed farm employees. At the headquarters labeled as Parcel 6, features barns, hay storage, equipment storage and pens, all within piped fence. A full list of improvements is listed in the Due Diligence Catalog, parcel-by-parcel. Minerals: This is a sale of the surface estate only. Seller is retaining all owned oil, gas, and other mineral interests. Landscape: The land is mostly flat and readily available for general agriculture uses or development. Please see Soil Reports for more details in the parcel-by-parcel details. Zoning/Easements: The property is outside of any municipality and is unzoned. A railroad line runs the length of the property along the western edge of U.S. Highway 287. Estimated Taxes:* $50,866.25 Water Conservation District: The farm lies within theNorth Plains Groundwater Conservation District Area: The property is located in the west half of Sherman County. Access: From U.S. Highway 287 to blacktop and caliche county roads throughout, all portions of this property feature unbeatable access.
$25,000,000

Premier Listing

Rio Bravo
#TX381070
El Paso, Texas
1,752.00 acres
RIO BRAVO RANCH 1,752± acres El Paso, Texas Located right on the Rio Grande River with unique water revenue stream opportunity. 100% Water Rights Convey 30,000± ACRE FEET OF WATER PER YEAR Only privately owned dam on the Rio Grande in Texas. Please contact us for more details
$0
40 Suarez-Carmen De Apicala Other TX 00000
#TX409117
, Texas
1,297.00 acres
Main use: Tourism, resorts, commercial, housing community developmentsSome áreas : ecotourismCountry houses (8 houses by Acre)Topography mixture that allows different usesOn the Magdalena River (Main river of Colombia)BOUNDARIES: Magdalena River 1.1 miles (1.8 km) - Gabriel Camargo Hacienda la Guayacana â Hacienda Santa Marta - Cuchilla del cerro. Topography: Over the valley of the Magdalena river, with a flat and wavy topography and foothills on the mountain range, with flat áreas in the middle part . 172Acres (70 ha) Water sources : wáter from the hills and from The Magdalena River 1.1 milesEnergy: Tolima ElectricityIt doesnât have an aqueduct or sewage system, but there are several options to develop wáter and sewage system.The asphalted way that cross through the ranch goes to Neiva (Capital of department of Huila).Incora Data: Soil type A 60%, Soil type B 28%, Soil type C 10%, Soil type D 2% Goverment measurement (AgustÃn Codazzi) is 1334 acres ( 540Has)
$45,000,000
0 Fm Road 548 Forney TX 75126
#TX318303
Kaufman, Texas
1,450.00 acres
Looking for development site! This 1450 + - acreage is located in the path of heavy growth from Rockwall to Forney to Terrell on FM 548 with major frontage. The property is 5 miles from Forney and 5 miles from Terrell and the newly proposed Baylor Hospital Facility, Forneys New Mall Site. Easy commute to Dallas, Highway 80, Interstate 20, Interstate 30 and Highway 205.
$35,000,000